Entries in "Open With" missing [SOLVED]

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
warriorofthelight
Level 3
Level 3

Entries in "Open With" missing [SOLVED]

Post by warriorofthelight »

Not sure where this question should go, Mod pls feel free to move!

I used to have some Wine-applications (Tygem, MultiGo...) installed and they were showing up in the "Open with" dialog in Nemo. In my new Mint 19 installation, I copied the whole Wine-prefix from my old Mint 17.3 (because it wouldn't work with a fresh install). The applications are working, but I have no entries in the Open-With box, and entering my own command in the Open-dialog doesn't quite work.

For example, I go to Open with... and then enter
env WINEPREFIX="/home/werner/.wine" wine C:\\Program\ Files\ \(x86\)\\MultiGo\ 4\\MultiGo.exe
as the open command. It does open the right program, but it doesn't open the file selected.

Is there a way to restore these entries, and also get the desktop icons back for wine applications?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Entries in "Open With" missing

Post by Flemur »

warriorofthelight wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:57 pmIn my new Mint 19 installation, I copied the whole Wine-prefix from my old Mint 17.3 (because it wouldn't work with a fresh install). The applications are working, but I have no entries in the Open-With box, and entering my own command in the Open-dialog doesn't quite work.
Try re-installing the apps; I think the menu entries get created either when you install them or when you run them the first time, which won't work with the prefix copied over because it won't know they're new.
env WINEPREFIX="/home/werner/.wine" wine C:\\Program\ Files\ \(x86\)\\MultiGo\ 4\\MultiGo.exe
If you want to get some control over the process, you can put that in a script in your ~/bin directory and run that like a regular linux program.

Here's my "iview" executable script to run irfan_view, with passed parameters:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh

PAR=`winepath -w "$*"`

LOC=~/.wine/drive_c/pgms/IrfanView/i_view32.exe

wine "$LOC" "$PAR"

exit 0
Then in a terminal I can

iview file.jpg
or "Open with" -> "iview" in the file-browser.

The "LOC=" line is the only thing you need to change to use other wine apps, so yours would be :
LOC=~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/(x86\)/MultiGo\ 4/MultiGo.exe
or
LOC="~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/(x86)/MultiGo 4/MultiGo.exe"

(I *think* I got the special characters and spaces in your path taken care of....I make a point of not using any such characters, so the programs are installed under "pgms" instead of the lame, problem-causing name "Program Files".)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
warriorofthelight
Level 3
Level 3

Thanks, putting it in a script is a good idea. I've reinstalled one of the programs now, which creates the desktop icon, but nothing in "open with". However there are several entries for "wine internet explorer" and many other doubles? Can I get rid of these? And if I can, I can also create a new entry?

Googling further has brought up /usr/share/applications, where you can put *.desktop files. I tried with one, but it doesn't show up in the open-dialog. Does Nemo even look there? Or is this a Nautilus thing from Ubuntu?
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

warriorofthelight wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:41 pm Thanks, putting it in a script is a good idea. I've reinstalled one of the programs now, which creates the desktop icon, but nothing in "open with". However there are several entries for "wine internet explorer" and many other doubles? Can I get rid of these?
Look in
~/.local/share/applications/*.desktop
IIRC, the wine ones all have "wine" in name. There are also typically duplicates, like

userapp-funnynumeber1-appname.desktop
userapp-funnynumeber2-appname.desktop
which, every one I've seen, the files are exactly the same, just the name - the funny-number part - is different.

THEN look in:
~/.config/mimeapps.list
There are TWO, count 'em, TWO entries for each file type, so don't miss both of them.
And if I can, I can also create a new entry?
I make a new entry by just making one of those PAR LOC scripts, then "Open with" and tell it the script name, and it makes the .desktop file.
Googling further has brought up /usr/share/applications, where you can put *.desktop files. I tried with one, but it doesn't show up in the open-dialog. Does Nemo even look there? Or is this a Nautilus thing from Ubuntu?
I'm pretty sure those are generic .desktop files that don't get used in your menus - they're for services or some such. Don't put stuff there.

Here's a messed(**) up line from .config/mimeapps.list
video/mp4=userapp-vlc-THKELZ.desktop;foobar.desktop;smplayer.desktop;userapp-vlc-RHV8KZ.desktop;vlc.desktop;smplayer_enqueue.desktop;xplayer.desktop;
Note that VLC is in there THREE times; because the three VLC .desktop files are exactly the same except for the name, my fix is to change it to:
video/mp4=vlc.desktop;foobar.desktop;smplayer.desktop;smplayer_enqueue.desktop;xplayer.desktop;
Edit: notice foobar in there: it's windows foobar2000 wine app run thru a script like the one above for iview.

**Linux mime stuff is horrible, tons of files all over the place: there are > 800 files in /usr/share/mime.
It's from freedesktop.org, the fine folks who are ruining linux.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
warriorofthelight
Level 3
Level 3

Thanks a lot. Great tips! Will look into that asap.

Return to “Cinnamon”