how to pass same folders customization in new release?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sergio_63
Level 1
Level 1

how to pass same folders customization in new release?

Post by sergio_63 »

Hi all.
From the beginning of my adventure with mint cinnamon, years ago, I increased the use of customizing color of many folder that helps me in managing files.
But in mint 18.3 I started also customize de image of the folder itself (right click on a folder, properties, click on the green image of the folder, choose new image ...).
I designed my self various icon images for personal use and now that I'm shifting to mint 19.... I can't simply change one at a time hundreds of folders that mint 19 are massively showing me all green... :cry: is there a configuration file somewhere in mint 18.3 that I can copy in the partition in witch I just installed mint 19 and see the magic happen?
Thank a lot!! :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gm10

Re: how to pass same folders customization in new release?

Post by gm10 »

You'll probably just need to install the same theme you used for configuring the icons in Mint 18.3.

More specifically, you can check what icon file a folder is configured to use, so make sure it exists:

Code: Select all

gio info -a metadata::custom-icon <folder>
sergio_63
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sergio_63 »

I tried the command you suggest from the mint 19 partition but the result is an empty line.
From the 18 partition I've got something similar to an editor text opening but without useful info.

I must say I don't 've installed no theme in mint 18, simply adjusted the look and feel from the "themes" icon on the control center. I've tried to set the same settings in mint 19 but the folder remain all green.
I don't want to think the time I'll must spend to select what folder icon change and with what colour or with what icon because it's various hundreds of them containing various types of data. And particularly I can't do this at any new implementation of mint.
I can't be the only one with such a need, am I? :shock:

Anyway, thanks for the replay :)
gm10

Post by gm10 »

sergio_63 wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:31 am I tried the command you suggest from the mint 19 partition but the result is an empty line.
From the 18 partition I've got something similar to an editor text opening but without useful info.
Hmm, where did you run that command? You were supposed to run it from a terminal window. Also make sure you replace the <folder> part with the actual path and name of a folder that you customized the icon for. Maybe try a test run:

gio info -a metadata::custom-icon /home
The expected result is:

uri: file:///home
attributes:
For a folder with a custom icon the line starting with attributes would tell you which one it is.

And last but not least, your Mint 18 and Mint 19 are accessing identical folders, right? Or does the Mint 19 partition have a copy or something?
sergio_63
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sergio_63 »

Thanks for the replay.
Yes, with correct sintax the command work.
I was hoping in the existence of a magical .config file of same sort that, copied from the 18.3 partition into the 19 one, tells at my mint 19 how mint 18 see and configure the dressing of various hundreds of folders of data.
I understand that maybe I'm the only one with this necessity so, considered that winter will be a long season plenty of evening to fulfill, I'll make "various" screenshot of the hundreds of folders in question from mint 18.3 and then in mint 19 I'll change manually, one by one. Click with the right MB, properties, left click on the image of a green folder, choose your preferred folder for that type of data, designed by you... and so on.
The sad thing it's not that I'm sick, I'm not the only one here probably, or that this process will survive me, but...omg... Linux Mint it's so beautiful and perfect.... there must be a way... boh :(
Thanks to gm10 :-)
gm10

Post by gm10 »

sergio_63 wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:55 am I was hoping in the existence of a magical .config file of same sort that, copied from the 18.3 partition into the 19 one, tells at my mint 19 how mint 18 see and configure the dressing of various hundreds of folders of data.
No, I hope you understood from the above, the info about the icon is stored with the folder itself. So if you copy the folder that info gets copied along with it. I'm not sure what your Mint 18/19 duality is about exactly but sure it must be easier to just copy the folders (or even just use a single shared set of folders for both installs) instead of recreating it by hand.
sergio_63
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sergio_63 »

Ok, I will work on that! Thank you again :-)
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

Just to confirm that directory icon colours etc. do indeed show when transferred or copied to another disk & even another OS, at least with KDE. Was quite surprised and pleased that my Manjaro installation retained all the customizations from the Mint 17.3 KDE install I'd copied the /DATA partition from, with the latest theming added. :mrgreen:

Nemo (at least in LM17.3 Cinnamon, which I'm posting this from) has a habit of not displaying the customized directory colours (or icons) until the parent directory is opened, meaning the bookmarks also have the theme colours until they've been "seen" by Nemo. Not sure if this has been fixed in LM18.x or later.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE

Return to “Cinnamon”