Mint 19 Cinnamon panel doesn't disappear on full screen programs

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cohassetsteve

Mint 19 Cinnamon panel doesn't disappear on full screen programs

Post by cohassetsteve »

Using Mint 19 fresh install (except for /home). Nvidia 1050TI with nvidia 394 driver. When I run a program in full screen the panel doesn't disappear, covering part of the full screen program. For instance when I use remmina the little control bar at the top is covered by the panel and some of the icons on the remote desktop are covered. I notice that there is a .cinnamon folder in my home folder - could there be settings there left from the old version of cinnamon messing up the new cinnamon version in mint 19?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Mint 19 Cinnamon panel doesn't disappear on full screen programs

Post by catweazel »

cohassetsteve wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:02 pm (except for /home).
Create a test user account and see if the problem persists.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
cohassetsteve

Post by cohassetsteve »

catweazel wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:57 pm
cohassetsteve wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:02 pm (except for /home).
Create a test user account and see if the problem persists.
I created a test user and it worked as it should. Restarted and now my main account is working as it shoud - idunno
cohassetsteve

Post by cohassetsteve »

Oops, I spoke too soon, now it's back to leaving the panel visible when apps are full screen (Chrome browser and remmina)
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Which window position is the panel in and what is the setting for that panel (auto on, auto hide, or intelligently hide)

Does hitting Ctrl-Alt-Esc cure the issue for a while?

It's working here OK with an always on top panel (Chrome's F11, or a universal full screen toggle shortcut in the Keyboard app).

I have had a couple of times that an auto hiding left panel has got stuck 'open' - restarting Cinnamon with Ctrl-Alt-Esc always fixes it.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
cohassetsteve

Post by cohassetsteve »

The panel is on top and it is set to always on - I'll try ctl alt esc and see what happens
cohassetsteve

Post by cohassetsteve »

ctrl alt exc didn't change anything
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Are you holding the key combo? E.g. Hold down Ctrl and Alt and also press Escape - you should get a flash of just the desktop while Cinnamon reloads.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
cohassetsteve

Post by cohassetsteve »

smurphos wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:32 am Are you holding the key combo? E.g. Hold down Ctrl and Alt and also press Escape - you should get a flash of just the desktop while Cinnamon reloads.
Yes, I've used that key combination before. For now I have set the panel to "Intelligently hide" and it seems to work ok. Maybe an update to Cinnamon will fix my problem. The thing I suspect is possible is something is left behind in my .cinnamon folder from 18.3 that in incompatible with the new Cinnamon version.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Right click on the panel, click troubleshoot and select 'restore all settings to default'. You will need to set up your preferred arrangement again but that should clear any dodgy imported settings.
cohassetsteve

Post by cohassetsteve »

smurphos wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:56 am Right click on the panel, click troubleshoot and select 'restore all settings to default'. You will need to set up your preferred arrangement again but that should clear any dodgy imported settings.
I've done that several times - no dice, same behavior as before
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Almost out of ideas - one last thing to try. In Chrome settings toggle the check for Use system title bar and borders and see if makes any difference either way.
cohassetsteve

Post by cohassetsteve »

smurphos wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:58 am Almost out of ideas - one last thing to try. In Chrome settings toggle the check for Use system title bar and borders and see if makes any difference either way.
That didn't affect it one way or the other. Funny thing is I have mint 19 running in a virtualbox and it doesn't display this behavior. Thanks for all your suggestions, I guess I'll just live with it.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

One last thing to try. Not sure why it didn't occur to be before. It might be a file ownership in your home folder glitch. To fix try

sudo chown -R $USER:$USER $HOME
cohassetsteve

Post by cohassetsteve »

smurphos wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:04 am One last thing to try. Not sure why it didn't occur to be before. It might be a file ownership in your home folder glitch. To fix try

sudo chown -R $USER:$USER $HOME
No dice. I tried comparing settings from the mint 19 in virtualbox (which exhibits expected behavior) and my little pea-brain couldn't see any differences
prizrak

Post by prizrak »

Same exact problem, completely fresh install (no /home saved) and unless panel is in auto hide mode it will not disappear in full screen. I should add that mine is on top of the screen mac style. None of the suggestions in the thread help either.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Nuke the panel and start again is the only other suggestion I can offer if you've gone through all the troubleshooting steps here.

I've got an always on top panel on Cinnamon 19 - it does disappear as it should in browser full screen mode / games or using the Alt-F shortcut in other windowed apps.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

I can replicate this issue, but only by having a window open with 'Always on Top' set via right click on the titlebar so that window also displays over the fullscreen app.
juliohm1978
Level 1
Level 1

Post by juliohm1978 »

I'm having the same issue.

Code: Select all

No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID:	LinuxMint
Description:	Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa
Release:	19.1
Codename:	tessa
Not a big deal, but slightly annoying. Apparently, it affects any application that tries to render itself fullscreen, Google Chrome, Firefox, VLC, etc. Resetting the panel and chowning my home permissions does not solve the issue.

PS: Quick test reverting back to the classic panel. Same results. Fullscreen applications cannot overlap the panel at all.
twodogs
Level 4
Level 4

Post by twodogs »

I am having this problem. Fresh install of Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon. Fullscreen browser, file manager games etc won't go over the panel. I have tried everything in this post and nothing works. I even reinstalled!

System:
Host: Lenovo-YOGA-730-15IKB Kernel: 4.15.0-48-generic x86_64 bits: 64
Desktop: Cinnamon 4.0.10 Distro: Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa

EDIT: I did some digging and research and found that the dock is the culprit. I am running Plank and if I kill Plank and then go fullscreen, everything looks good. Sooo, I just removed Plank from 'startup' and created a script to start/stop Plank with a keybind. Works great!

Return to “Cinnamon”