Well, I gave up

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rojthevorlon
Level 1
Level 1

Well, I gave up

Post by rojthevorlon »

After a week of locking up multiple times a day usint Mint 19 Cinnamon with zoom, I gave up, reformatted yet again and went back to Mint 18.3 and rock solid stability. Maybe in several months when the Ubuntu underpinnings stabilize, or Cinnamon gets sorted.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Well, I gave up

Post by JoeFootball »

rojthevorlon wrote:... Mint 19 Cinnamon with zoom ...
While I can't speak to Zoom compatibility with LM 19, I do know that several people have been having overall challenges with the new release.
rojthevorlon wrote:... went back to Mint 18.3 and rock solid stability ...
Which is why I never left it. :) And it's still supported until April 2021 as well.

I rarely go with the first release of a major version change, unless it really has a new feature that I need. I usually wait for the next point release (e.g., LM 19.1), and always test it in a spare partition first.

Joe
rojthevorlon
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rojthevorlon »

In all seriousness I completely agree with you on all points. However, I had just managed to totally hose my Mint 18.3 installation due to a catastrophic power outage (thunderstorm with power out / power on / power out / power on several times in less than 30 seconds) so since I had to rebuild, I thought I'd give it a whirl.

Boy Should I Have Known Better. It was the most problematic week of my Mint experience since Cinnamon first got zoom years ago and I helped sort it out with mtwebster. Now that I'm back with the tried and true, Mint is once again a problem-free dream.

Cheers!
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

I just posted up a new thread about 19 xcfe will not install on VB, the screen display is all zig zagged
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

JoeFootball wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:18 amWhich is why I never left it. :) And it's still supported until April 2021 as well.

I rarely go with the first release of a major version change, unless it really has a new feature that I need. I usually wait for the next point release (e.g., LM 19.1), and always test it in a spare partition first.
One of the reasons that I have chosen to maintain TWO Mint installations on my hard drive (in separate partitions, obviously). If one gets pooched, the other is still there and fully usable. Currently, I have 17.3 and 18.something. Due to personal preference, I consider 17.3 to be my main, everyday setup (and it'll have support until April, 2019). But I've been known to have the same version in each. I just ended up updating the other one to the 18.x series (and then found that I didn't really care for it, although it'll get the job done).
rojthevorlon wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:46 pmI had just managed to totally hose my Mint 18.3 installation due to a catastrophic power outage (thunderstorm with power out / power on / power out / power on several times in less than 30 seconds)
You have my condolences. Everything here has been remarkably stable, considering the fact that I live in a semi-rural area (power failures, momentary "blinks" (occasionally, repeated, such as you describe), brownouts, and surges are all just things that we have to deal with here) AND I have a laptop with both a failed battery and a broken power port (the slightest movement/jarring of the laptop or the power cable is an instant-off :roll: :( ) .

To the best of my knowledge, I have not lost any data or functionality due to power interruptions in years. Since I decided to choose a journaling file system. I assume that has been what has saved things for me (oh so many times).

I run the Xfce "flavor" of Mint and you run the Cinnamon one, but I wouldn't think this would make any difference in this regard. Maybe you are just even more unlucky than I am (which would really be something, lol).
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
rojthevorlon
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rojthevorlon »

Ouch dude, hope it goes better.

Cheers!

Return to “Cinnamon”