(SOLVED-Workaround) Show and keep thumbnails from big HDR and EXR Images in Nemo

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
F3Spirit

(SOLVED-Workaround) Show and keep thumbnails from big HDR and EXR Images in Nemo

Post by F3Spirit »

Hi,
I have two related Questions.

1) How can I have thumbnails from big HDR and EXR Images ( 22.000 x 10.000p) in Nemo?

Right now I don't see thumbnails from HDR and EXR images at all, but a second problem that will follow is:
2) How can i automatically crawl trough my HDR archive and create all the thumbnails, and how can I keep them stored forever?

I don't care if all the thumbs take up some GB on my Disk, if I can get them in Nemo
I work as a 3D Artist, and need to be able to see all the HDR Images instantly to be able to work creatively .

I use Mint 19 - Cinnamon
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
vincurekf

Re: Show and keep thumbnails from big HDR and EXR Images in Nemo

Post by vincurekf »

Hey,

I have been dealing with similar problem and the least complicated solution was to convert HDR images to JPG and store them alongside with the HDR images.
You need to have ImageMagic installed, all your hdr/exr files in one folder and then you can use this script to convert .hdr or .exr images to jpg.
The script will delete all JPG files in that folder in order to remove duplicates and to keep things clean.

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
HDRIPATH=$1

convert_image () {
	# $1 = passed file name
	path="$(dirname "$1")"
	file="$(basename "$1")"
	noext="${file%.*}"
	jpgpath="${path}/${noext}_JPG.jpg"
	#
	echo "convert ${f} > ${jpgpath}"
	convert "${f}" "${jpgpath}"
}

for f in "${HDRIPATH}/"*.jpg
do
	if [ -f "$f" ]; then
		rm "${f}"
	fi
done

for f in "${HDRIPATH}/"*.hdr
do
	if [ -f "$f" ]; then
		convert_image "${f}"
	fi
done

for f in "${HDRIPATH}/"*.exr
do
	if [ -f "$f" ]; then
		convert_image "${f}"
	fi
done
Usage:

Code: Select all

~$ ./convert.sh '/Your/Path/To/HDRI_folder'
I hope this helps you. :)
EDIT: script typo
F3Spirit

Re: Show and keep thumbnails from big HDR and EXR Images in Nemo

Post by F3Spirit »

Hi,
thank you for your reply.

Yes I also do it that way, thank you for the script to speed it up.

Return to “Cinnamon”