Cinnamon Isn't giving me a Desktop

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
StevenC21

Cinnamon Isn't giving me a Desktop

Post by StevenC21 »

Basically, I booted up. I got GRUB. Then, I chose Linux Mint 19, as normal. Everything is going fine. Next, I enter my password into the GUI login, and all hell breaks loose. It freezes up, and nothing happens for a brief bit. Then, I get a black screen with a bit of text in the center, saying "cinnamon-session-cinnamon" is not found, amongst other things I don't remember, but that is most likely enough to ID the error. I can certainly give the full thing if it helps anyone. By the way, I am typing this from a text-only browser, so I am really dedicated to getting this fixed.

inxi -Fxz:

I actually can't give this because I don't know how to copy paste from a terminal to here. If someone could tell me that would be great.

Please I need help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Re: Cinnamon Isn't giving me a Desktop

Post by AZgl1800 »

on the crashed PC, in Terminal, can you use the mouse to highlight any text?

if you can, use right click Copy the highlighted part, OR, do a Shift/Control/C from the keyboard to copy the highlighted text.

then do sudo xed , and paste the text into the editor.
Save the text file somewhere, and then use www.WeTransfer.com to email it to yourself.

you can then open the email from the text browser, and paste the results into the coded block above </>

short of that, use a camera to take a picture of the results and host them somewhere,
www.imgur.com is a great host for pictures.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint

Return to “Cinnamon”