HiDPI: icons are tiny and invisible

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
szilike
Level 1
Level 1

HiDPI: icons are tiny and invisible

Post by szilike »

Dears,

Cinnamon 3.6.7 Nvidia Quadro M1000M HiDPI screen

I cannot see the icon of dropbox and shutter in collapsible system tray (the others are ok), and some (as far as I understood, java based) applications do not display the icons and menus in readable format. There are icons and menus, but too tiny chars and pics. Other applications are ok (chromium, TB, Libreoffice Roxterm)
That is also true if I run virtualbox and inside of the box, the icon sizes are also too small there.

No idea how to solve, pls help me out.
Thank you.
linux_screen_012.png
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gm10

Re: HiDPI: icons are tiny and invisible

Post by gm10 »

Default icon sets received HiDPI icons with Mint 19 release, and there were some more HiDPI related improvements. If switching to Mint 19 is not an option, you could download the updated icons packages separately, that might be enough to solve at least your icon problems. You could also try to upgrade the entire cinnamon and related packages but I won't recommend that since I don't know how that would turn out - it could break stuff, if it installs at all.

If you're using a custom icon set, then find an update for that one or update it yourself.

PS: Forgot the link: http://packages.linuxmint.com/list.php?release=Tara
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

I've thought for a while now that people (NOT the users of these things, but those who create the code) place too much significance on resolution and not enough on... actual physical size, and also that in terms of how it relates to the situation.

It is one thing to have a high resolution display that is 72" - especially if it is not positioned on the other side of the room - and a different one altogether, in my opinion, to have a high resolution display that is only 19". Treating all possible scenarios as ONE thing, it causes a lot of people to find that the information on their displays is too small (and, I suppose, it causes some to decide that what they're seeing is too large).

It would not be a perfect solution; obviously, people's personal tastes are different - as are their visual abilities. But, IMHO, all these linux distros' and desktop environments' display tools should not just "ask you" what resolution you prefer, they should take into account the physical size(s) of the user's display device(s) along with the distance from those to the users.

I remember reading a few years ago that there was some sort of mathematical formula for sizing one's HDTV based on how close the person was planning to sit (and vice versa). While it undoubtedly didn't suggest something that would please everyone (as, again, tastes and eyes differ)... I expect that it did at least allow the majority of people to be able to see what was occurring in the movie that they were watching, lol.

If this was how things worked in the computer world, instead of people experiencing what, to them, qualified as a severe issue, they'd presumably have a good starting point that they might - or might not - then choose to adjust to some degree or other, but would at least be usable from the start.

Regards,
mdm
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

gm10 wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:11 pm Default icon sets received HiDPI icons with Mint 19 release, and there were some more HiDPI related improvements. If switching to Mint 19 is not an option, you could download the updated icons packages separately, that might be enough to solve at least your icon problems. You could also try to upgrade the entire cinnamon and related packages but I won't recommend that since I don't know how that would turn out - it could break stuff, if it installs at all.

If you're using a custom icon set, then find an update for that one or update it yourself.

PS: Forgot the link: http://packages.linuxmint.com/list.php?release=Tara
This won't fix all the issues. Some apps provide there own and simply don't work right. With electron apps for example, it seems to be a total hit and miss on what displays properly scaled.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.

Return to “Cinnamon”