Linux mint 19 cinnamon freezes regularly[SOLVED]

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
davidlondonuk

Linux mint 19 cinnamon freezes regularly[SOLVED]

Post by davidlondonuk »

Hopefully, this is solved to some degree.

The new kernel stopped random freezes(I had the previous kernel in xubuntu 18.04 on a dell precision with no problems at all - why did it cause problems in linux mint 19???)

I turned off all the plugins in nemo and now I can attach my android phone without mint 19 freezing after 30 seconds. I really think you should unit test the f*&k out of nemo and the plugins.

I don't get it guys: linux mint 19 is derived from ubuntu, you have exactly the same software base yet you have these strange problems - I cant figure it out.

Hi,

I have a dell latitude e6400 with 2Gb, after a fresh install (choosing to encrypt the home dir) and installing all updates, mint 19 freezes completely on a regular basis -I can't log in via another terminal using ctrl-alt-f2 or reboot in anyway. Memtest86+ reported no ram errors.

Here is the output from inxi -F:

Code: Select all

System:    Host: david-E6400 Kernel: 4.15.0-24-generic x86_64 bits: 64
               Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.8  Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara
Machine:   Device: portable System: Dell product: Latitude E6400 serial: N/A
                Mobo: Dell model: 0W620R serial: N/A
               BIOS: Dell v: A20 date: 12/21/2009
Battery    BAT0: charge: 57.7 Wh 138.0% condition: 41.8/57.7 Wh (72%)
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core2 Duo P8700 (-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB
              clock speeds: max: 2535 MHz 1: 2527 MHz 2: 2647 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel Mobile 4 Series Integrated Graphics Controller
               Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.19.6 )
           drivers: modesetting (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1280x800@60.07hz
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Mobile Intel GM45 Express
           version: 2.1 Mesa 18.0.5
Audio:     Card Intel 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.15.0-24-generic
Network:   Card-1: Intel 82567LM Gigabit Network Connection driver: e1000e
           IF: enp0s25 state: down mac: 00:26:b9:b3:c2:46
           Card-2: Intel WiFi Link 5100 driver: iwlwifi
           IF: wlp12s0 state: down mac: 00:24:d6:67:a3:34
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 80.0GB (19.5% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: FUJITSU_MHY2080B size: 80.0GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 73G used: 13G (19%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 2.15GB used: 0.00GB (0%)
           fs: swap dev: /dev/dm-0
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 47.0C mobo: N/A
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 196 Uptime: 2 min Memory: 606.9/1946.1MB
           Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.3.56
I noticed firefox was causing problems so installed chromium which works fine. I have changed swappiness to 10.

Mint can work fine for hours or it can freeze after 10 minutes. I can't see anything in the logs. If I attach my moto g5 android phone, mint 19 will normally freeze completely after a few mins.

Does anyone have a fix for this? Mint 19 Cinnamon is a brilliant, good looking distro and it deserves to work - but if this carries on it is pretty much unusable.

Cheers for any help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jeremint

Re: Linux mint 19 cinnamon freezes regularly[SOLVED]

Post by jeremint »

Hi, i have exactly same problem, how did u solve it ? thx
dwalbeck

Post by dwalbeck »

Yeah, I'm also having the same issues after upgrading my system from 18.3 (where it ran perfectly) to 19 v2 and now my desktop will randomly freeze - permanently, so I have to reboot all the time. *sigh* I can't really see anything in the logs that indicates anything that is failing. The only thing I've been able to find is some warnings about gst-plugin-scan. I also can't seem to get any music player to work, although my sound is working just fine. Tried Clementine, Banshee, Rhythmbox, Quod Libet, Jajuk and even VLC and nothing seems to be working right, although they all seem to fail for different reasons. Kind of feels like I'm missing something with this install.

I'd definitely be interested in hearing about how you were able to move past your issues.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

To the OP - if you can isolate your issue to a particular nemo plugin with your hardware - report it directly - https://github.com/linuxmint/nemo/issues
I'd also note that your system is towards the lower end of specifications - Cinnamon is relatively demanding - it used 3D acceleration which Mate and XFCE don't. Your RAM is relatively low so you might run into slow-down with memory intensive applications accessing swap. Kernel -24 was known buggy.

@dwalbeck - post upgrade issues are not uncommon - upgrades from 18.x to 19 are not superficial and although it might go smoothly for some, for others depending on hardware and software installed they may end up with a problematic system. This is often hard to diagnose and fix. That's why if you search through the forums you'll often find members recommending a fresh install for a 18.x to 19, rather than using the upgrade path. In your situation rather than fighting a broken system, I'd backup your user data and fresh install 19, or revert to 18.3 via Timeshift. If you go down the fresh install route run a test with the live session first and make sure the things that are broken now work under the live session.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
paulovilli

Post by paulovilli »

I've been having some random lags and system freezes for around 2 months now (since LM 19, which was installed fresh, not via update from my previous 18.3 setup, and a new pair of RAM sticks), but nothing came up after about 24h of memtest with the new RAM too... good to know I'm not the only one.

Updating to the latest stable generic kernel seems to have improved some forms of lag I've been experiencing, and adding Padoka PPA to LM19 helped a bit with gaming performance, but neither solved the stability issue as I was hoping might happen.

Web browsing suffers most with the lags, but they show up on components of Cinnamon too. My impression is that it related with GJS components like "Menu", but now I've been feeling it more with Nemo than anything else, and that is without any attached.

Freezes have been happening mostly while gaming or using handbrake to convert video (with no apparent pattern of time or triggering actions...), but just happened again while idle on the desktop.

Software: Linux Mint Cinnamon Edition 19 + Kernel 4.19.1 via UKUU + Padoka Stable PPA (all updates applied)
Hardware: Phenom II x4 965 BE + ASUS M5A78L-M PLUS + AMD HD7770 + 2x GSKILL 4GB DDR3 1600GHz CL7 (F3-12800CL7D-8GBXM) + 2x Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB (SV300S37A) + Western Digital 1TB (WD10-EARS)

So what exactly was the solution in this thread? Just disabling the Nemo plugin?! Did the issues happen even without android devices plugged-in for others too or is my issue another one?
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

paulovilli wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:59 pm Freezes have been happening mostly while gaming or using handbrake to convert video (with no apparent pattern of time or triggering actions...),
I would start a new thread asking for support with this issue. However this ^ makes me think overheating issue for part of the problem. In your thread please start with the full output of inxi -Fxz
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
arclite

Post by arclite »

I have this same problem with a fresh install of tara, 09-01-19, no prior to upgrade from on a fanless Intel Duo-core Lenovo laptop with 8GB memory and no known memory problems from a Win10 prior install and a factory fresh 1TB Goldenfir SSD (a more bump resistant version of a 1TB HDD - time will tell). Swappiness is currently set to a default of 60 with partitions of 250MB MBR 50GB /root; 875GB /home; 8GB swap; 8GB overprovisioning (unallocated). all updates were applied before looking at this problem from 10-01-2019
benchrest
Level 3
Level 3

Post by benchrest »

I have a similar problem. The symptoms are so vague its hard to say. My mouse pointer moves extremely slow and clicking does nothing. I suspect something is 100% cpu. Right now I am running top & GkrellM to see what is happening when this occurs. Nothing in logs and it never fails when TOP and GKRELLM are running. I have waited and it never frees up and I have to reboot. I feel my system has been as stable the last few months as when I left Vista for Linux many years ago. One problem after another. And 19.1 was worse. Thats why I am back to 19. Perhaps 18.3 is where I belong. Sorry for the vent.

$ inxi -Fxz
System: Host: desktop2 Kernel: 4.15.0-43-generic x86_64
bits: 64 gcc: 7.3.0
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.9 (Gtk 3.22.30-1ubuntu1)
Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara
Machine: Device: desktop Mobo: ASUSTeK model: M5A97 R2.0 v: Rev 1.xx serial: N/A
UEFI: American Megatrends v: 2201 date: 12/10/2013
Battery hidpp__0: charge: N/A condition: NA/NA Wh
model: Logitech Wireless Mouse M510 status: Discharging
CPU: Quad core AMD FX-4100 (-MCP-)
arch: Bulldozer rev.2 cache: 8192 KB

flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm) bmips: 31208
clock speeds: max: 3600 MHz 1: 1934 MHz 2: 2217 MHz 3: 2614 MHz
4: 3362 MHz
Graphics: Card: NVIDIA GP107 [GeForce GTX 1050 Ti] bus-ID: 01:00.0
Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.19.6 )
drivers: nvidia (unloaded: modesetting,fbdev,vesa,nouveau)
Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz, 1920x1080@60.00hz
OpenGL: renderer: GeForce GTX 1050 Ti/PCIe/SSE2
version: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 390.77 Direct Render: Yes
Audio: Card-1 NVIDIA GP107GL High Def. Audio Controller
driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 01:00.1
Card-2 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)
driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:14.2
Card-3 Logitech driver: USB Audio usb-ID: 001-002
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.15.0-43-generic
Network: Card: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCIE Gigabit Ethernet Controller
driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: d000 bus-ID: 02:00.0
IF: enp2s0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives: HDD Total Size: 756.2GB (45.9% used)
ID-1: /dev/sda model: Samsung_SSD_850 size: 256.1GB
ID-2: /dev/sdb model: WDC_WD5003AZEX size: 500.1GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 234G used: 113G (51%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda2
RAID: No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 15.6C mobo: N/A gpu: 0.0:32C
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: 0
Info: Processes: 217 Uptime: 35 min Memory: 2345.5/7877.4MB
Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 7.3.0
Client: Shell (bash 4.4.191) inxi: 2.3.56
LM Cinnamon 19, ASUS TUF B450M, Ryzen 5 2600x, 16gb memory, Samsung SSD 970 EVO-Plus 500gb, Samsung SSD 850 Pro 256gb, dual 27" monitors, MSI GEFORCE GTX 1050ti Areo ITX. Big user of Gramps, LibreOffice, Unison.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

[/quote]
arclite wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:50 am I have this same problem with a fresh install of tara, 09-01-19, no prior to upgrade from on a fanless Intel Duo-core.....
arclite - I can have a a good guess at the cause of your issue - but would need your inxi -Fxz output to confirm your processor model to confirm. If it's an Intel Pentium N3540 then do this - https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... .html#ID25. If not start a new thread.
benchrest wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:46 pm
Your issue will have a different underlying cause - please start a new thread - it will get more attention than extra posts in a thread marked [SOLVED] albeit it's not clear what the OPs issue actually was or the solution.
arclite

Post by arclite »

I am opening up a new thread as per your suggestion. The thread is titled "Intel N35x0 random freezing on fresh Mint Cinnamon 19.1 Tara, updated before use"

The CPU is an Intel N3530 which is in the same family but is not the N3540 as described but without at this moment knowing the precise issue you are referring to I cannot exclude my system from your reference?

I look forward to hearing from you under the new topic with thanks for your reply to my off the beaten track comment!

Alexandra
paulovilli

Post by paulovilli »

smurphos wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:52 pm
paulovilli wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:59 pm Freezes have been happening mostly while gaming or using handbrake to convert video (with no apparent pattern of time or triggering actions...),
I would start a new thread asking for support with this issue. However this ^ makes me think overheating issue for part of the problem. In your thread please start with the full output of inxi -Fxz
Nevermind, my issues were due to unstable RAM at max rated GHz and more recently the PSU 12V rail going undervolted after 12 years of service... (maybe the RAM was even fine and the PSU was to blame for that instability too)

Return to “Cinnamon”