Swapping out individual icons between different icon themes

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mikeglaz

Swapping out individual icons between different icon themes

Post by mikeglaz »

I noticed Mint 19 has a new theme - Mint-Y. Previously, I used the Moka theme. And I still prefer Moka but I wanted to keep the Software Manager icon that comes with this new Mint-Y theme. This is also the same icon used for .deb files.

For Mint-Y the software manager icon is located in /usr/share/icons/Mint-Y/apps/64/mintinstall.png
But for the Moka theme it is located in /usr/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/apps/mintinstall.svg

I can change the icon in the menu by right-clicking on Menu -> Configure. But how do I associate this new icon with the .deb file types.

And perhaps more generally, is there an easy was to swap out individual icons between icon themes?

thanks,
Mike
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gm10

Re: Swapping out individual icons between different icon themes

Post by gm10 »

Those icons you listed are not actually the icons used for .deb files. File type icons are based on mime type. .deb files are of type application/vnd.debian.binary-package or application/x-debian-package, so associated icons would be found in the /mimetypes folder of the iconset and be called application-vnd.debian.binary-package or application-x-debian-package.

If you want to use a different icon then just create or exchange those files, or delete them all and define an inherited icon set in the index.theme file which has the ones you want.

I suggest creating a copy of the theme though so future updates don't remove your changes.
eastrader
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Swapping out individual icons between different icon themes

Post by eastrader »

I found this post, that is close to my question. I did an update from 18.3 to 19 and notice that all my web links are associated with "text" type icon vs the default web browser.
I have right clicked properties and even tho I can set a default program, like Firfox, the icons do not change.
I have been in different themes and nothing I do seems to link the icon type back to the associated program like in 18.3
any ideas?
Always learning.

Return to “Cinnamon”