ScreenSaver selection locks up Mint

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon here
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Tonytn
Level 1
Level 1

ScreenSaver selection locks up Mint

Post by Tonytn » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:53 pm

Installed LM19 on an older computer (1st Gen AMD 64 CPU, Asus A8V board). Intent is to use this old computer as a media server for MP3's. Anyway, after install, I was playing around with the settings and looked at the screen savers. As I was scrolling down the list, clicking on them to get a preview, one of them just froze the computer up. Now it sits with a green dark green blank screen and will not respond. I can force a reboot via the reset button and things are ok until I open the screen saver selection menu then it locks up again. It was fine with the first 4 or so I looked at. How do I get it to set the screen saver back to default or how can I do that from either the terminal or editing a config file without bringing up the selection window? I could not find anything on the forum about this issue.

smurphos
Level 7
Level 7

Re: ScreenSaver selection locks up Mint

Post by smurphos » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:47 am

To reset to the standard cinnamon screen-locker from the terminal.

gsettings reset org.cinnamon.desktop.screensaver screensaver-name

If you are in a situation where a machine is unresponsive a safer way of forcing a reboot is...

Holding Alt and PrintScreen buttons press slowly in this order REISUB.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_SysRq_key#Uses

Tonytn
Level 1
Level 1

Re: ScreenSaver selection locks up Mint

Post by Tonytn » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:20 am

Thank you!

The ALT/PS REISUB command would not work, read that earlier in a post and gave it a try, so I think it really had the system frozen or in some type of endless loop and not responding to the interrupt system. I've rebooted and issued the command you suggested, will have a look this evening (after work) to make sure I did it correctly and it is fixed.

Return to “Cinnamon”