LightDM seems to drop afs tokens in Mint 19 Cinnamon

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
d_j_eck

LightDM seems to drop afs tokens in Mint 19 Cinnamon

Post by d_j_eck »

We use the OpenAFS network file system. After installing Mint 19 Cinnamon, AFS users can't access their files after login to Cinnamon. Running aklog manually will fix the problem. There is no issue with console or ssh logins, so I suspect the problem is with the display manager. It seems like lightdm has afs tokes for a while, since it can create and start writing to .xsession_errors. I've tried turing on pam_afs_session debugging and looking at /var/log/auth.log. I can't see a difference between terminal and desktop logins. This has me stumped. Any help or hints would be appreciated. (This is for a 20-computer lab at my college, which I'd like to upgrade to Mint 19. Mint 18 works fine with mdm.)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
d_j_eck

Re: LightDM seems to drop afs tokens in Mint 19 Cinnamon

Post by d_j_eck »

Actually, the problem is not with lightdm as such -- the problem is that systemd has taken over starting some processes instead of cinnamon session. In particular, gnome-terminal runs as a subprocess of systemd instead of cinnamon-session, and it does not get AFS tokens. Applications like xed run under cinnamon-session and do have AFS tokens. It's not just gnome-terminal; dbus-daemon and dconf-service are also running as subprocesses of systemd. Any, I've given up on Mint 19 for this semester and will stick with Mint 18 for now.

Return to “Cinnamon”