Linux Mint 19 Login/Greeter Password Field Not Showing

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon here
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
jbjet777
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint 19 Login/Greeter Password Field Not Showing

Post by jbjet777 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:56 am

Has anyone else had the issue of the password field not showing on the login/greeter when using the second (or higher) listed account on Linux Mint 19? I was able to find this bug report/issue on LightDM: https://github.com/linuxmint/slick-greeter/issues/99. Is there any other place to report this issue? Or is it just me? Thanks!

I am still able to login to both accounts ok, the password input field is just not displaying.

smurphos
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Linux Mint 19 Login/Greeter Password Field Not Showing

Post by smurphos » Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:25 pm

I get it occasionally ( maybe 1 time in 10) since updating Mesa to 18.05. It's intermittent and flipping between the two users on the screen fixes it, or just typing the password and hitting enter.

I've not found a way to reliably reproduce it so hadn't bug reported it anywhere as yet

It's probably graphics card related as well. I am on Intel 2nd generation using the modesetting driver.

jbjet777
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jbjet777 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:27 pm

Thanks!

All right, I have not thought to check for graphics driver issues, but I will look into that. No other graphics issues have been noted, thus far. I'm running i7-8550 Intel 620 graphics.

As a note, it is consistent for me. Always happens when logging out (or switching user) of the second or higher account listed on the greeter. I can get the password field box to show up consistently by selecting the desktop render (but not actually making a change), then clicking back to the password prompt.

Linux Mint 19, all updates installed. It happens with the standard slick-greeter and unity-greeter.

Really loving Mint 19, very few bugs for me, except this one, which is somewhat annoying.

jbyrne-oe
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jbyrne-oe » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:14 pm

I get the same problem about 50% of the time. I'm running Mint under VMWare Player, so this is with a VMWare virtual graphics adapter.

I agree it's pretty annoying, but not enough for me to go and debug it myself!

Return to “Cinnamon”