Linux Mint 19 Login/Greeter Password Field Not Showing

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jbjet777

Linux Mint 19 Login/Greeter Password Field Not Showing

Post by jbjet777 »

Has anyone else had the issue of the password field not showing on the login/greeter when using the second (or higher) listed account on Linux Mint 19? I was able to find this bug report/issue on LightDM: https://github.com/linuxmint/slick-greeter/issues/99. Is there any other place to report this issue? Or is it just me? Thanks!

I am still able to login to both accounts ok, the password input field is just not displaying.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Linux Mint 19 Login/Greeter Password Field Not Showing

Post by smurphos »

I get it occasionally ( maybe 1 time in 10) since updating Mesa to 18.05. It's intermittent and flipping between the two users on the screen fixes it, or just typing the password and hitting enter.

I've not found a way to reliably reproduce it so hadn't bug reported it anywhere as yet

It's probably graphics card related as well. I am on Intel 2nd generation using the modesetting driver.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
jbjet777

Post by jbjet777 »

Thanks!

All right, I have not thought to check for graphics driver issues, but I will look into that. No other graphics issues have been noted, thus far. I'm running i7-8550 Intel 620 graphics.

As a note, it is consistent for me. Always happens when logging out (or switching user) of the second or higher account listed on the greeter. I can get the password field box to show up consistently by selecting the desktop render (but not actually making a change), then clicking back to the password prompt.

Linux Mint 19, all updates installed. It happens with the standard slick-greeter and unity-greeter.

Really loving Mint 19, very few bugs for me, except this one, which is somewhat annoying.
jbyrne-oe

Post by jbyrne-oe »

I get the same problem about 50% of the time. I'm running Mint under VMWare Player, so this is with a VMWare virtual graphics adapter.

I agree it's pretty annoying, but not enough for me to go and debug it myself!
fleabeard

Post by fleabeard »

I was attempting to obtain support to troubleshoot this issue on the official irc help channel and was mocked/memed and told to use Manjaro instead. So now I'm on Manjaro and do not suffer this issue anymore :)

Not entirely sure how Linux Mint got it's reputation for being a newbie friendly distro with the amount of toxicity I had to endure in it's official support channel. But never the less, there are better distro's out there with friendlier communities behind them.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

fleabeard wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:30 pm I was attempting to obtain support to troubleshoot this issue on the official irc help channel and was mocked/memed and told to use Manjaro instead.
I'm sorry to hear it! That should never happen. Unfortunately, trolling does happen, and the admins and mods can't always be around to prevent it. Please keep in mind that while the channel is official, that doesn't mean the people using it are in any way affiliated with Mint. Unfortunately, as we're seeing here, it does reflect on the community as a whole... while the community here in the forums is quite different!
It sounds like you had rotten luck and ran in with some miscreants, and again, I'm sorry you had such a bad experience. Enjoy your Manjaro, I'm hearing it's quite good too.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
jbjet777

Post by jbjet777 »

I'm sorry to hear that. I feel I'm a newbie myself. I'm still having this issue on my laptop after upgrading to LM 19.1, which has a newer version the the LightDM greeter. Unfortunately, I cannot recreate this issue on the 3 other machines I have running Linux Mint. So the issue remains a mystery to me.

I haven't tried to get support via a chat channel as this is not the first time I've heard of users being treated that way.
bassistguy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bassistguy »

It started happening to me with 18.3 (still happens on 19 / 19.1). I have an HP Elitebook 8460p, and the only time it happens for me is if my laptop is docked and using an external monitor (does not happen when using my laptop screen). It happens 100% of the time, and as soon as I move my mouse, the password field appears. That being said, I can still type my password when the field is missing. This hasn't really bothered me though.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

jbyrne-oe wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:14 pm I get the same problem about 50% of the time. I'm running Mint under VMWare Player, so this is with a VMWare virtual graphics adapter.

I agree it's pretty annoying, but not enough for me to go and debug it myself!
I get this 100% of the time in virtualbox. Agreeing with your last sentence though. ;)

Return to “Cinnamon”