Window borders of Clearlooks-Phenix Metacity theme not working in Mint 19

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gwi
Level 2
Level 2

Window borders of Clearlooks-Phenix Metacity theme not working in Mint 19

Post by gwi »

Hello,

Up to Mint 18.3 I was using the Metacity theme Clearlooks-Phenix. One of the reasons to use it, is the window title bar color of the focused window.

Unfortunately in Mint 19 this theme no longer works. According to the github repo the theme supports GTK up to version 3.20. Mint 19 uses 3.22.

The theme is in a metacity-theme-1.xml file. I have searched for a description of the differences between the metacity-theme-1.xml format, and metacity-theme-3.xml. Unfortunately I could not find it, nor did I find instructions on how to convert or upgrade the format (if it is possible).

Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Regards,

George

Linux Mint 21.2 Victoria Cinnamon 64-bit, Asus Vanguard B85, Intel Core i7 4770S
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Window borders of Clearlooks-Phenix Metacity theme not working in Mint 19

Post by smurphos »

See here for a selection of the Mint 18.x window border themes updates from metacity-theme-1.xml format to metacity-theme-3.xml format. Many of them use the selection colour for focused Windows.

Clearlooks-Phenix isn't included but if none of those meet your needs give me a shout. It's a bit too involved to explain what is needed in a forum post, but depending on the complexity of the theme it wouldn't take long to convert it.

viewtopic.php?f=208&t=272414&hilit=Metacity
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
gwi
Level 2
Level 2

Post by gwi »

Thanks, I already saw those themes. For now I started with a copy of the Mint-Y metacity file. I added a colour for the title bar of a focused window. I have to fine-tune it: button icons, maybe top border (has a small white line now), readability of title font. Attached is the first result so far.
Regards,

George

Linux Mint 21.2 Victoria Cinnamon 64-bit, Asus Vanguard B85, Intel Core i7 4770S
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Nice - glad to see someone else getting their hands dirty with a bit of theming - beware it's somewhat addictive.... :)
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

Return to “Cinnamon”