Resume from Suspend forgets everything

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JSpeed

Resume from Suspend forgets everything

Post by JSpeed »

Beginning (that I know of) this morning (HST=GMT-10), when I resume from suspend, the computer completely forgets my desktop and I have to log in as if I rebooted. It reloads all the autostart programs and nothing I had open is still open. Even the password screen shows as if it's a fresh boot, not resuming.
This happens no matter which way I suspend and I press a "Shift" key to resume (any key will do but they show up on the password bar).

The last things I updated were
mintwelcome - today
Libreoffice - yesterday
VLC - 3 days ago
libmspack0 - 3 days ago
Chrome, Chromium, libmysqlclient20, amd64-microcode, intel-microcode, lshw, ca-certificates-java, guile-2.0-libs - 5 days ago
mintsystem - 9 days ago
mono - 10 days ago

does not account for "autoupdates". I rebooted my computer yesterday, and did not suspend it until bedtime.
Suspend is only manual on my computer, any other time, the screens stay on and everything is alive. I normally press the "Sleep" key to suspend.

I know there have been other suspend issues and maybe this is a casualty of getting those fixed.

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JSpeed

Re: Resume from Suspend forgets everything

Post by JSpeed »

Am I the only person having this issue?

Update. Found the bug, not a problem anymore.
Wade
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Wade »

What was the solution? I am having the same problem,
JSpeed

Post by JSpeed »

It's a bug in Login.

go to "System Settings" and "Login Window"
Under the "Users" tab, put "Hid the user list" to "OFF"
Under the "Settings" tab, put "HiDPI support" and "Monitor" both to "Auto"
Reboot and it should work. Or, it did for me. Bugs are buggy that way.

These settings should not effect this at all. But, there you go.
Wade
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Wade »

Thanks for the quick reply. That did not fix my situation, but it got me one step away from a solution--not a fix, but a workaround I can live with.

I am using LM 19 MATE.
My Login Window settings were already as you recommended: "Hide the user list" = OFF, and "HiDPI support" & "Monitor" = "Auto".

While I was in the Login Window settings, I changed it to automatic login instead of requiring username and password. Now I can suspend and wake up with no problems!

Thanks
JSpeed

Post by JSpeed »

An option to prevent automatic login, if you want to need signing in, would be to toggle all those setting, reboot, then toggle them back. There might be one of them that's corrupt.
Wade
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Wade »

Well, that worked a few times, but this morning when I woke up my computer, I once again had the login screen, and when I entered my password, everything was gone.

I have been having random problems with suspend to RAM ever since I started using using Linux Mint 19 (no problems at all on 17.3), but I think the current problem started with kernel 4.15.0-32. Before 4.15.0-32, it usually worked OK, but sometimes upon wake up, computer seemed to be running (noise from fan and hard drive), but monitors were black, and keyboard and mouse were disabled, and the only way to recover was with a hard reboot by holding down the power button for several seconds.

So, here is what I did today:
(1) Toggled settings on Login window as recommended (but I am leaving it set to autologin).
(2) Upgraded to kernel 4.15.0-33

I am hoping that things will improve with the new kernel.
JSpeed

Post by JSpeed »

I had the "works a few times then stops" issue, but it seems to be better and I'm not sure why.

It also worked on all version 18, Cinnamon. Only seemed to start with LM19.

It'd be nice to have some one chime in with more information. Like someone who understands where this problem is coming from.

If I change those settings again, it will start messing up on my computer. Haven't tried it sense before the last 2 kernel updates, though.
Wade
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Wade »

It is working OK now.

The last time I rebooted was 7 days ago, after upgrading to kernel 4.15.0-33. Since then, I have suspended and resumed about 10 or 15 times with no problems!

Perhaps there was a bug in the kernel that got fixed?

Return to “Cinnamon”