[SOLVED] How to NUKE low-contrast style in Cinnamon 19?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SunWorks
Level 4
Level 4

[SOLVED] How to NUKE low-contrast style in Cinnamon 19?

Post by SunWorks »

Wow.
LOTS of things I really like about Cinnamon 19, but the fact that the default window style incorporates the recent web-trend of low contrast colour styles MUST be a decision by those who want to encourage eye strain.

This conscious choise to make viewing more difficult and increase eye strain should be shouted down at every corner and from every mountaintop.

Making screen reading MORE difficult is absolute bogus.

Shame, shame, shame on the designers of this. Next time, why don't you get your laughs by making light grey on white background the default option, so even changing this to something readable is difficult.

With my griping out of the way... how do I change the entire Cinnamon style to a higher-contrast style for programs, window managers, NEMO in general?

Shoot... there are many occasions when viewing folders on the left hand column of NEMO file manager is a real strain.

Please help?

Thank you,

Clinton
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Re: How to NUKE low-contrast style in Cinnamon 19?

Post by smurphos »

Change your theme. The Mint 18.3 default Mint X is still there if that was your preference, and there are a few options on Cinnamon Spices, downloadable from the themes app that include Gtk aswell as Cinnamon desktop themes...Adapta, Cinnamox etc.

There are a fair few alternative GTK themes also available via Software Manager, although often without a matching Cinnamon theme e.g Arc, Ambiance/Radiance, Mate-themes. Elsewhere on the WWW lookout out for Materia...it is available in Software Manager but lacking the Cinnamon theme support that is in the GitHub version. Finally Oomox is an GUI app that makes it very easy to design your own Colour scheme from scratch and build a totally personal thene.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

I had to go to Mint X, as I am pastel color blind and those frickin faint weak blends on some websites prevent me from even being able to read the text.

I have spent hours reconfiguring the desktop so that I can view the laptop screen w/o getting headaches.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

Shame, shame, shame on the designers of this. Next time, why don't you get your laughs by making light grey on white background the default option, so even changing this to something readable is difficult.
As the maintainer of all the Mint themes, you can cast all the shame on me you like if it makes you feel better somehow. Mint is not a distro that jumps on the bandwagon in any hurry. This trend in style has been around for a few years. We make these decisions based on feedback from the user base as a whole. There has been growing demand for this change and it was finally time to make it as the default. That being said, there are certainly improvements to be made based on user feedback we've gotten. Those are on my list for 19.1

We were also well aware that a certain subset of users would hate it. That's why I spent a lot of hours ensuring the original Mint-X themes were fully up-to-date and working with Mint19. That way users could very easily switch back if they wanted. It takes literally a few seconds to change it.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
SunWorks
Level 4
Level 4

Post by SunWorks »

JosephM wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:50 pm
As the maintainer of all the Mint themes, you can cast all the shame on me you like if it makes you feel better somehow.
It does not make me feel better in any way.

It's meant as stated. A verbal reprimand for succumbing to the latest and ridiculous fad to make things difficult to see.
Linux used to claim "it just works".
Increasing eye strain does NOT "just work".
As a teenager going to an autumn football game, my parents always stated that "it's never fashionable to shiver" in response to clothing choises that left the wearer freezing at an outdoor event.
It's also never fashionable to make things more difficult to view.

It just demonstrates the inability to combine modern design while retaining contrast and visibility.

There are a lot of trends that don't live long and this is one that will die with joy from many. Look at the demographics.

Good design is more than following the newest shiny stuffed rabbit around a race track.
JosephM wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:50 pm This trend in style has been around for a few years.
I understand. That does not make it a good trend. I *constantly* run into people who despise it. Most of them are silent.
JosephM wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:50 pmThere has been growing demand for this change and it was finally time to make it as the default.
"growing demand" still does not make it a good choise. Make it an option for those people. There are masses privately wishing for a return to "it just works".
JosephM wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:50 pmWe were also well aware that a certain subset of users would hate it.

Yet you still made it more difficult to use for a large number of your base instead of having it an option for those with cat-eyes and having THEM do the switch.
JosephM wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:50 pmThat's why I spent a lot of hours ensuring the original Mint-X themes were fully up-to-date and working with Mint19.
Thank you for your work. It *IS* appreciated, but not the part on making Mint more difficult to use.
BTW... where are those "original Mint-X themes"? I've downloaded new themes and did not see the "original Mint-X themes" in two different places I looked.

Hey... if you want to read text like this all day? Knock yourself out.
I want an OS that truly does just work.
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

Obviously you are fully entitled to your opinions. Just as you are to use something that "just works", as you put it.

As for the Mint-X themes, did you try looking in the most obvious place? You said you are on Cinnamon so that would be cinnamon-settings->themes, or just "themes" in the search box. They are right there for the choosing. They are shipped as part of the default install.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

JosephM wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:32 pm Obviously you are fully entitled to your opinions. Just as you are to use something that "just works", as you put it.

As for the Mint-X themes, did you try looking in the most obvious place? You said you are on Cinnamon so that would be cinnamon-settings->themes, or just "themes" in the search box. They are right there for the choosing. They are shipped as part of the default install.
and that is where I found it and 'click', got the screen back so I can see it.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
SunWorks
Level 4
Level 4

Post by SunWorks »

JosephM wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:32 pm You said you are on Cinnamon so that would be cinnamon-settings->themes, or just "themes" in the search box. They are right there for the choosing. They are shipped as part of the default install.
Yah... that was simple.
Using Mint-X is a lot less eye strain without losing benefits.
Sweet.
Thank you for your work.
Low-contrast = nyet!

Return to “Cinnamon”