(SOLVED)Logon Background

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
RockWrangler

(SOLVED)Logon Background

Post by RockWrangler »

Hi, Running Tara I cannot find a way to switch between solid color and image on logon window. I set a solid color, but now want an image, but no way to switch between the two. I would have thought radio buttons beside each for selection? See Attached for what I have. The image won't overide the solid color.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Logon Background

Post by kyphi »

Turn on "Draw user backgrounds" and specify the pathname to the background of your choice, e.g. /usr/share/backgrounds/linuxmint-tara/jplenio_lake.jpg
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
RockWrangler

Post by RockWrangler »

kyphi wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:24 pm Turn on "Draw user backgrounds" and specify the pathname to the background of your choice, e.g. /usr/share/backgrounds/linuxmint-tara/jplenio_lake.jpg
Yep, already tried that, the solid color still over-rides the chosen image.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

What's the location in the file system of the image you are using?

If under your home folder is your home encrypted?

If yes then you need to move the image in question out of home and to another location in the file system - a custom made folder in /opt/ is a good choice - so that slick-greeter can access the image without your user being logged in.

If you are not using an encrypted home then the issue will be permissions on the image file. It must be readable by the Others for slick-greeter to be able to display it - i.e have permissions of at least 644 or -rw-r--r--

This applies to images set as the main background for all users or if you use the draw user image option - the user backgrounds can't be in an encrypted home and must have permission for Others to read them.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
RockWrangler

Post by RockWrangler »

smurphos wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:45 am What's the location in the file system of the image you are using?

If under your home folder is your home encrypted?

If yes then you need to move the image in question out of home and to another location in the file system - a custom made folder in /opt/ is a good choice - so that slick-greeter can access the image without your user being logged in.

If you are not using an encrypted home then the issue will be permissions on the image file. It must be readable by the Others for slick-greeter to be able to display it - i.e have permissions of at least 644 or -rw-r--r--

This applies to images set as the main background for all users or if you use the draw user image option - the user backgrounds can't be in an encrypted home and must have permission for Others to read them.
BINGO! That was the problem, the encrypted home folder that is. Thanks a million!

Return to “Cinnamon”