[SOLVED] Quit button login screen not working (on tap)

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rob2701
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Quit button login screen not working

Post by rob2701 »

Aha!
Found the culprit, I think :shock:

In a flash of divine inspiration I decided to attach a Logitech mouse to the laptop instead of using the built-in touchpad.
Guess what? Buttons function perfectly!
So yes, it is hardware related, seems the Touchpad in the Asus Zenbook UX430UA-GV002T does not want to play nice with those buttons.
With a proper mouse attached no issues at all...

Thanks everyone for the time spent to try to resolve this.
Will add this info to the bug report on Github.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Oh lol, driver issue. Hadn't thought of that at all, figured you'd have noticed if you cannot click anything. I take it you can also not click into the password field or things like that?
rob2701
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rob2701 »

No, it's not a driver issue in that sense, for all other purposes the touchpad works and clicks away just fine, just not on the buttons on that login screen :?

Even funnier than that: using the right click (on the touchpad) makes the buttons behave as they should, working fine.
But using double-tap on the touchpad itself gives the result described, just the tooltip text.

Will add that to the bug report too.
Last edited by rob2701 on Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Oh really? You can click other stuff on the login screen? That's extra weird then. I can honestly say I've no idea at all what's going on then. That info absolutely needs to go into your report.
rob2701
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rob2701 »

will do, thanks
ps: was editing the text while you replied, see above
gm10

Post by gm10 »

rob2701 wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:00 am But using double-tap on the touchpad itself gives the result described, just the tooltip text.
Oh but double tap is a function of your desktop environment, that's never been intended to work on the login screen.

Good thing you edited that in, because now we're probably just looking at user error, depending on whether your left-click button on the touchpad works or not.
rob2701
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rob2701 »

single tap or double-tap gives the same result as using the buttons below the touchpad in ALL other cases everywhere. So calling this a user error is a bit far-fetched?
If anything I would rather name it a quirk in the login screen... :lol:

And yes the left and right button on the touchpad work just fine with the login screen buttons

To be even clearer: I (as most users) expect a single tap (on the touchpad) on a button to act the same as using the left click on the touchpad (or alternatively a mouse). But on the login screen buttons do not behave that way, not even the ones after clicking Quit.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

rob2701 wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:19 am single tap or double-tap gives the same result as using the buttons below the touchpad in ALL other cases everywhere. So calling this a user error is a bit far-fetched?
If anything I would rather name it a quirk in the login screen... :lol:

And yes the left and right button on the touchpad work just fine with the login screen buttons
Heh, don't misunderstand me, "user error" wasn't meant to place blame, just to identify whether where the actual issue lies. After all we've come a long way from "quit button not working" to "tap-to-click not working".

That said, it wasn't unreasonable of you to expect it to work on the login screen. I just know it doesn't because I know that this is an optional feature that's not enabled by default. Ideally you would be able to configure it via lightdm's Login Window tool, but right now you are not.

In the meantime, it's easy to change the default manually. Open the respective configuration file like this:

Code: Select all

xed admin:///usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/40-libinput.conf
And then find this section, which defines the default driver for touchpads:

Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "libinput touchpad catchall"
        MatchIsTouchpad "on"
        MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
        Driver "libinput"
EndSection
Now we add the option to enable tap-to-click so it looks like this:

Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "libinput touchpad catchall"
        MatchIsTouchpad "on"
        MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
        Driver "libinput"
        Option "Tapping" "on"
EndSection
Refer to man libinput for other optional parameters you can set.
rob2701
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rob2701 »

Don't worry, I'm not offended that easily :D
I just think it's quirky behaviour/behavior (UK/US).

Thanks for the help and excellent clarification, will certainly give that a try. Thumbs up!

PS
Since I'm certainly not going to be the only one surprised by this, maybe it would be a good idea to make this option default in a future version?
But kudos to all who work on Mint, it's awesome even with the few quirks left over :wink:
rob2701
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rob2701 »

And thanks for adding the comment to Github!
gm10

Post by gm10 »

No worries. Even though we took some detours, we did eventually arrive at the solution. I dislike leaving matters unresolved, so this pleases me. :)

I admit I would never have thought to ask whether you might be tapping to click. Something to keep in mind in case somebody else runs into this issue.
rob2701
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rob2701 »

Thanks again. One last question to take up some more of your time: :D
do you want the topic marked as solved or should we leave it as is?
gm10

Post by gm10 »

rob2701 wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:00 am Thanks again. One last question to take up some more of your time: :D
do you want the topic marked as solved or should we leave it as is?
Unless the solution I offered above does not work for you (it should) I believe we are done, aren't we? So yes, preferably you mark this as solved. Doesn't matter whether I personally want this btw, I'm just a user like you, but it's in the forum rules, keeps things cleaner.
rob2701
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rob2701 »

Thanks again for the excellent help, your suggestion works beautifully, now tap-to-click is behaving like it should on the login screen buttons.
One remark for future lurkers of this topic: the actual path is /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/40-libinput.conf
puddleglum
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [SOLVED] Quit button login screen not working (on tap)

Post by puddleglum »

Thank you for trouble-shooting this for us. I just wanted to acknowledge that you helped me as well. I installed Mint 19 Cinnamon on my ZaReason Strata 8110 and was unable to select any other account except the first one created. I knew they were there since I was able to login from a terminal at <CNTL><ALT><F1>, but I couldn't select them from the Login screen. That 'Option "Tapping" "on"' line in /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/40-libinput.conf did the trick. Thank you again.

Return to “Cinnamon”