UNSOLVED - How do I change the video card.?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
PlutoPup

UNSOLVED - How do I change the video card.?

Post by PlutoPup »

Right now I am running Linux Mint Cinnamon 18.2. Very Stable.
Kernel 14.13.0-45 / All higher Kernels were very unstable or crashed Cinnamon.

I have a PCIe 8400GS running 1- [19 inch monitor - DVI] and 1 - [HDMI going to a 55 inch TV]

I just purchased a used, Sapphire Radeon Nitro S7 370 - ( it can run up to 6 monitors ) - in order to run the 19 inch, the 55inch TV and add 1 - [17 inch Hp vs17e].

The Question is - should I just take out the 8400GS and put the S7 370 in or is there going to be lot more to it.?
How is Linux going to know to load drivers for the S7 and not still load drivers for the 8400GS once its gone and the S7 has taken it's place.?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: How do I change the video card.?

Post by Pierre »

those drivers are the issue:
so remove any video drivers that you have installed via Control Center - Driver Manager.
- then shut-down the machine.
thus change the video cards around & re-boot into composite video.
& then check via Control Center - Driver Manager,, to see if the new card has any recommended driver updates.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
PlutoPup

Re: UNSOLVED - How do I change the video card.?

Post by PlutoPup »

Well, changing video cards in Linux Mint has proved to be very hard to do indeed. I have not been successful in finding the best video card for Linux nor been able to run 2 like video cards: an 8400 GS - PCIe and an 8400 GS - PCI nor a Radeon or NVIDIA GTX...! I'm not knocking Linux Mint but these things are very easy to do in Windows.

Mint is suppose to be a replacement to Windows. Linux has always been a geeky OS. Mint was trying to close that gap but it would seem at its core, you have to know commands to make Mint work. I am no coder. I have tooled around with Linux. I have a very stable system running kernel 4.4.0 - 119.. any kernel higher crashes Cinnamon. I have the equivalent of dual monitors running my TV and a 19" monitor but all attempts to run a 3rd monitor failed.

Now I have that awful decision to make:

Do I go back to Windows in order to run 3 monitors,?
Stick with Mint and be happy with what I have and give-up the idea of 2 monitors and a TV..?
or make Linux Mint my back-up system and build a Windows system as my primary.!

in conclusion:
There is no Easy way to change Linux MInt to run with more that 2 monitors but very easy to do in Windows.
At Least I have found no easy way to do it with Mint and I have had many frustrating hours trying.!
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: How do I change the video card.?

Post by Pierre »

it is strange that no drivers are being shown as installed, in Driver Manager,,
but that may be, in part, due to the xserver-xorg-video-ati package for that card.

YES - - you found a weakness, when using any Linux System, :(
as this is just one area, where the heavy customisation of the windows system,,
can indeed show, just how far behind, when compared to the windows system. ..

you could keep that 8400GS and then use the Linux System as your standby system,
and go back to Windows in order to run those 3 monitors !.

there has been some folks who have gotten LinuxMint to run on two monitors,
but not on 3+ monitors, & which is very easy to do in Windows, due to it's customisation factors.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Re: UNSOLVED - How do I change the video card.?

Post by roblm »

PlutoPup wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:13 pm I have not been successful in finding the best video card for Linux nor been able to run 2 like video cards: an 8400 GS - PCIe and an 8400 GS - PCI

In this topic, I used two GeForce 8400 GS cards with two monitors connected to each:
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=272002

Mint Xfce or MATE should be used in this situation.

Return to “Cinnamon”