Calendar highlights the wrong day of week?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AFFLiCTED1

Calendar highlights the wrong day of week?

Post by AFFLiCTED1 »

I'm a newbie, so I hope I'm posting this in the correct section.
The calendar accurately displays "Tuesday August 21, 2018" in text, but the highlighted "square" in the calendar is under "Mon"...

I'm using Cinnamon, if you couldn't tell by the image... Is this a bug, or did I mess something up?

Regards,
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Calendar highlights the wrong day of week?

Post by Pierre »

it's rather doubtful, that you've messed something up,
however, log-off & restart your machine, and wait a few minutes, for the system to re-sync with the 'net,
do those marked updates, although it's doubtful, that they are any related issue,
& then see if that issue still remains.
:)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
AFFLiCTED1

Post by AFFLiCTED1 »

Thanks for the help... unfortunately, it did not fix it.

I applied the update (it was some java related thing), then restarted, waited about 10 minuets or so after boot-up, but it didn't change... so I went into the Date & Time options and started messing with the "First day of week" setting and it actually sent it back another day lol... I'm now on Sunday, August 21 2018 :?

Regards,

Edit: It looks like the week header above the calendar is shifting oddly... if it started with "Sun" it would actually line up correctly, but now it's starting with "Fri" ... odd right?
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

It is very odd. What Mint / Cinnamon version are you using?

Couple of things to try to try and track down a cause.

1) Remove and then re-add the calendar applet from the panel.
2) Try changing Cinnamon Desktop theme.
3) Set up a temporary new user via Users & Groups app, then log out and log in to the new user. Check if the Calendar day headings displays properly in that user.
4) In your regular user post back the output of this command run in the terminal gsettings get org.cinnamon.desktop.interface first-day-of-week

5) In your regular user account post back the output of locale
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
AFFLiCTED1

Post by AFFLiCTED1 »

I appreciate the help. I'm using Mint 19 Tara 64-bit... so I'm guessing the latest version of Cinnamon? I haven't changed anything as far as desktop version is concerned.

Doing those three things set it back to being 1 day off instead of 2:

gsettings get org.cinnamon.desktop.interface first-day-of-week
Result: 0

locale
Result:

Code: Select all

LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LANGUAGE=en_US
LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=
EDIT: I'll check back after work for replies... I have to get some sleep before then. Thanks again for the help!
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

AFFLiCTED1 wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:26 pm I'm a newbie, so I hope I'm posting this in the correct section.
The calendar accurately displays "Tuesday August 21, 2018" in text, but the highlighted "square" in the calendar is under "Mon"...

I'm using Cinnamon, if you couldn't tell by the image... Is this a bug, or did I mess something up?

Regards,
This problem arose once before, a few years back. Try changing your desktop theme.

viewtopic.php?t=200449
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
AFFLiCTED1

Post by AFFLiCTED1 »

Changing my theme doesn't make a difference...

smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

No real clue what could be going on here...

Did the error persist in the fresh user account?

If yes then try apt install --reinstall cinnamon-common then reboot.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
AFFLiCTED1

Post by AFFLiCTED1 »

Yes, the problem was still there with the temporary account I created (refer to the post above with the purple theme).

I reinstalled cinnamon as you instructed, then rebooted, but it made no difference. Is there anyway to delete saved preferences or maybe a config file to reset everything to defaults for cinnamon, might be worth a shot?

Thanks again for the help.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

AFFLiCTED1 wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:22 pm Yes, the problem was still there with the temporary account I created (refer to the post above with the purple theme).

I reinstalled cinnamon as you instructed, then rebooted, but it made no difference. Is there anyway to delete saved preferences or maybe a config file to reset everything to defaults for cinnamon, might be worth a shot?

Thanks again for the help.
Right click on the panel. select troubleshoot, and then select Restore all Settings to default. Don't think that will help though if the problem manifested on a fresh user account.
AFFLiCTED1

Post by AFFLiCTED1 »

You're right, did nothing.

Oh well, I'm not going to bother with a fresh install as I have everything set up the way I want... I guess I'll just live with it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thanks once more for the help.

Regards,
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Is it possible that you have set your Region under Language settings to one other than your own?
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message

Return to “Cinnamon”