Notification question...

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
invex
Level 4
Level 4

Notification question...

Post by invex »

How can I adjust horizontal and vertical notification position?
In 18.3 I used CinnamonTweaks but it's no compatible with 19.
TIA
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Notification question...

Post by roblm »

This can be done for themes that have a cinnamon.css file. This includes the default Linux Mint theme and the Mint-X and Y themes.

In System Settings > Notifications, the option Show notifications on the bottom side of the screen should not be enabled.

Open the File Manager and go to /usr/share/themes. Click on the theme you’re using and then right click on the Cinnamon folder and select Open as Root. First make a copy of the cinnamon.css file. Right click on the file and select Copy. Right click in the empty space and select Paste. Open the original file and in the Search > Find window, type: notifications

Find the section below:

Code: Select all

#notification {
    font-size: 8.5pt;
    border-radius: 10px 10px 10px 10px;
    border: 2px solid rgba(214,214,214,0.5);
    background-gradient-direction: vertical;
    background-gradient-start: rgba(66,66,66,0.9);
    background-gradient-end: rgba(55,55,55,0.9);
    padding: 8px 8px 8px 8px;
    spacing-rows: 10px;
    spacing-columns: 10px;
    margin-from-right-edge-of-screen: 20px;
    width: 34em;
    color: white;
    opacity:255px;
    mouseover-opacity:96px;
}
Leave this file open while you test different values. Increase the value in the line margin-from-right-edge-of-screen: 20px; to move the notification message to the left.

Then add the line margin-top: XXXpx; below that line, where XXX is the pixel value from the top edge of the screen. For a 16:9 aspect ratio screen, start out with these values:

margin-from-right-edge-of-screen: 1400px;
margin-top: 600px;

To test the new position, restart Cinnamon by pressing Alt+F2. Type r and press Enter.
Open System Settings > Notifications and click the Display a test notification button. Leave this program open until you find the desired position.

Also, the Notifications message box color is very similar to the default Cinnamon desktop background color, making it less visible, and the text is too small. This can be changed to a brighter color and larger text, which will get your attention faster and make it easier to read. Check the bottom notification message box I’m using in this picture:

notifications-orange.png

For instructions on how to do this, check my guide Mint 18.3 Cinnamon Menu and Panel Editing
in my last post in this topic: viewtopic.php?f=208&t=124153

To find the right section, search for Notifications
invex
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Notification question...

Post by invex »

Perfect. Thank you VERY much!

Return to “Cinnamon”