Graphical glitch while running Mint

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Broken_Gambler

Graphical glitch while running Mint

Post by Broken_Gambler »

A number of weeks ago, I decided to take another attempt at abandoning Windows. After trying about 6 different distros, I decided on Linux Mint (19), (function and layout for the win). After I ran it for about a week, installing software that I wanted, trying to wrap my "Windows-brain" around the Linux way of doing things, I came across an issue. Every time the system was running anything that showed movement, whether it be a game, YouTube video, etc. there was this very noticeable momentary pause about every 10 seconds. I believe it was doing this all the time but only became noticeable while performing these activities.

I was and am a very early stage user but I did make sure that the NVidia graphics drivers were up-to-date. This problem bothered me for a while, and as I was in a hurry to get a Linux install up and running, I jumped ship to Ubuntu, which hasn't had this issue, but I don't enjoy the experience that Ubuntu provides, so I want to jump back, but I can't if this problem isn't resolved first.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, I'm planning to load up Mint onto another Hard Drive and try to get it working some time soon.

Thanks in advance.

My Specs:
i5-7600k
GA-B250N Phoenix-WiFi (Motherboard)
NVidia GTX 970
Kingston A400 (480GB SSD)
16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB RAM
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Graphical glitch while running Mint

Post by MrEen »

Hi Broken_Gambler, and welcome to the forum.

I remember reading something similar to your issue on here that I'm pretty sure was an applet causing the glitch. I'm not positive, but I think it may have been a cpu monitor applet running on Cinnamon. I'll see if I can find the post, but in the meantime, if you're running such an applet, try disabling it and test.

Good luck.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Well, I couldn't find what I thought I remembered and instead am finding lots of posts about limited hardware.

To help someone help you, please post the output of running inxi -Fxz in the terminal.
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter »

I had this issue, and the culprit trned out to be some of the desktop extensions. Tried disabling extra ones, and narrowed it down to 2, whcih i removed. All worked fine since
If you accept - and I do - that freedom of speech is important, then you are going to have to defend the indefensible. That means you are going to be defending the right of people to read, or to write, or to say, what you don't say or like or want said.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

MrEen wrote:
I'm not positive, but I think it may have been a cpu monitor applet running on Cinnamon.
If the problem is specific only to Cinnamon, switching to either Xfce or Mate would be a way to fix the problem. Coming from Windows, I found Mate to be the easiest to transition to, but I've seen others here on the forum say for them it was Xfce.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

You're not likely to get a useful answer until you actually post the text output of inxi -Fxz from the terminal as suggested above.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken

Return to “Cinnamon”