Nemo: NFS Shares Manually Mounted via /etc/fstab Not Showing as Mounted Network Drives

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mattlach
Level 4
Level 4

Nemo: NFS Shares Manually Mounted via /etc/fstab Not Showing as Mounted Network Drives

Post by mattlach »

Hey,

I'm currently setting up a new Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon Edition install for my fiance.

On my desktop (Linux Mint 18.3) when I mount NFS shares via fstab, they both show up under the network section on the left panel in the Nemo window as mounted drives, as well as icons on my desktop.

On my Fiance's new build with Linux Mint 19 they neither show up in Nemo or on the desktop. If I manually navigate to the mount point, they are indeed mounted, and I can access the files.

I wanted her to have easy access to the networked file system on her desktop. I could always solve this with a symlink, or change the mount location to her desktop, but that feels kind of like a hack.

Am I missing something here, or has something changed in how Nemo/Cinnamon behaves?

Much obliged,
Matt
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Corsair 1000D, Threadripper 3960x, Asus ROG Zenith II, 64GB, Samsung 990 Pro, Geforce RTX 4090, 42" LG C3, 2x Dell U2412M, Schiit Bifrost Multibit DAC
Server: AMD EPYC 7543(32C/64T), SuperMicro H12SSL-NT, 512GB RAM, 192TB ZFS
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Nemo: NFS Shares Manually Mounted via /etc/fstab Not Showing as Mounted Network Drives

Post by catweazel »

mattlach wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:58 pm If I manually navigate to the mount point, they are indeed mounted, and I can access the files.
Please post the path to the mount point.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
mattlach
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Nemo: NFS Shares Manually Mounted via /etc/fstab Not Showing as Mounted Network Drives

Post by mattlach »

catweazel wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:52 am
mattlach wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:58 pm If I manually navigate to the mount point, they are indeed mounted, and I can access the files.
Please post the path to the mount point.
Never mind.

I have no idea what happened.

At first I placed two folders in /mnt

That didn't work. Then I mounted them in folders in /home/user/Documents. That didn't work either.

Then I mounted them directly in folders on the desktop. Figured I wouldn't have to worry about Nemo showing icons for them if they are there anyway.

All of a sudden when I did this, I had the Nemo icons show up, so now I had four icons for two folders.

Frustrated, I moved them back to /home/user/Documents, and the Nemo icons stayed.

Not sure what changed. The ownership and permissions on the mouth points were the same, as were the lines in database, except for the path to the mountpoint.

Now it works, but I can't explain why it does now, and why it didn't before.
Corsair 1000D, Threadripper 3960x, Asus ROG Zenith II, 64GB, Samsung 990 Pro, Geforce RTX 4090, 42" LG C3, 2x Dell U2412M, Schiit Bifrost Multibit DAC
Server: AMD EPYC 7543(32C/64T), SuperMicro H12SSL-NT, 512GB RAM, 192TB ZFS

Return to “Cinnamon”