A better looking Panel ? [ SOLVED ]

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jarp53
Level 3
Level 3

A better looking Panel ? [ SOLVED ]

Post by jarp53 »

Selection_001.png
[rimg]file:///home/jr/Pictures/Selection_001.png[/rimg]
this is my panel ,I"m using Cinnamon 19 and NVIDIA drivers , I already have the panel as wide as I can is there a way to make it wider so I can display time and date in a nicer format, with out having to move it to the bottom
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: A better looking Panel ?

Post by Hoser Rob »

I don't think there's a good solution for this. What I'd suggest is moving the main panel back to the bottom or top horizontally, and then add an auto hide vertical panel on the side and add app launchers to that. I've been doing that ffor some time, and between that and using multiple workspaces and having the pager on the main panel it really helps with clutter.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
gm10

Post by gm10 »

That's a Cinnamon thing. I don't know why they restrict the panel size so much. On my MATE desktop a vertical mate-panel can be extended up to a width of 384 pixels. I am not sure if you can install other panels to Cinnamon though. But you can always switch to another desktop if you really want this layout. ;)
jarp53
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jarp53 »

Thank you for your respond, I think I'll take the link of this topic and put in the suggestion topic , maybe some good will come out of it
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Suggestions for Cinnamon would have to be put here: https://github.com/linuxmint/cinnamon/issues
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Although the GUI for panel width is limited to 50px for maximum width it is possible to have a wider panel.

Method 1) Edit the theme. Panel width is set in cinnamon.css.

Method 2) Set the override theme value via dconf-editor or gsettings.

For method 1 let me know what desktop theme you are using and I'll give some pointers.

For method 2 using dconf-editor the key is org.cinnamon panels-height

E.g. in this screenshot I've set panel 2 (my left panel) to be 250px wide.

Result -

For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
jarp53
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jarp53 »

much better thank you ; I did notice that you loose the setting if you open the panel settings, but with dconf editor is very easy and is not like I need to change settings often if ever , so again thanks, smurphos
Ben2talk2
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Ben2talk2 »

Hoser Rob wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:20 am I don't think there's a good solution for this. What I'd suggest is moving the main panel back to the bottom or top horizontally, and then add an auto hide vertical panel on the side and add app launchers to that. I've been doing that ffor some time, and between that and using multiple workspaces and having the pager on the main panel it really helps with clutter.
Well I guess so - but all my panels are hidden; the date and time are on the desktop (Variety handles that) so my desktop is blank.

I use Easygestures. G launches chrome, C for Chromium, V for Vivaldi, B for database, D for my Dropbox folder...

With Vivaldi, I have a 'curly' gesture (Ctrl+F11) which renders it a menu-less tab-less window -

I rarely launch stuff from the panel or menu and am too lazy to even press two keys simultaneously for most jobs (even CTRL zooming with the mouse works because I have 2 extra mouse buttons mapped to CTRL and ALT).

Return to “Cinnamon”