How to assign a shortcut to the accessibility "Zoom" feature?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ange16

How to assign a shortcut to the accessibility "Zoom" feature?

Post by ange16 »

Hello there,

what I want to do is to be able to zoom in on some part of my screen why I work with OBS Studio. For example, be able to zoom in on some parts of code source I want to comment.

I know I can enable Zoom in accessibility and this tool is ok, but I'd like to control the activation/deactivation using my keyboard.
I also know that we can register new keyboard shortcuts: what I don't know is the name of the binary file behind the Zoom so I can't create my own shortcut.

Can someone help me please?

Mickaël
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Re: How to assign a shortcut to the accessibility "Zoom" feature?

Post by smurphos »

Hi,

Do you want to enable / disable the magnifier via a keyboard shortcut or leave it enabled and zoom in and out via keyboard shortcuts?

If the latter there are preconfigured shortcuts - namely Super-Alt-Equals and Super-Alt-Minus. if you want to remap them go to the Keyboard app, open the Shortcuts tab and navigate to Universal Access.

If the former in the Keyboard app you can create custom keyboard shortcuts and use the commands

gsettings set org.cinnamon.desktop.a11y.applications screen-magnifier-enabled true

and

gsettings set org.cinnamon.desktop.a11y.applications screen-magnifier-enabled false

to enable / disable the magnifier.

If you want a single shortcut to toggle the magnifier on and off you'll need to make a little bash script and call that from the shortcut.

Something like

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
if gsettings get org.cinnamon.desktop.a11y.applications screen-magnifier-enabled | grep true; then
	gsettings set org.cinnamon.desktop.a11y.applications screen-magnifier-enabled false
else
	gsettings set org.cinnamon.desktop.a11y.applications screen-magnifier-enabled true
fi
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

Return to “Cinnamon”