[Solved]User issues after copy vm installation to hard disk

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dancer_69
Level 1
Level 1

[Solved]User issues after copy vm installation to hard disk

Post by dancer_69 »

Hello,
I had linux mint 19 installed and updated in a vmware vm. I transered the installation to a hard disk partition and I've managed to boot. After I tried change the username and transfer the home directory to another partition which I use for home. After that and when I rebooted I could login with the changed username without problems from tty console, but lightdm failed to login to the graphical enviroment, which was expected because was trying to login to the previous username. At first I edited lightdm' s config file and added the option to login with different usernames. Then I was able to input the correct user name but lightdm again failed to login to desktop.
So, because I haven't any configurations I want to keep, I created a new user and I managed to login from lightdm to this new user without problems.
The problem now is that I want to configure lightdm to login(and maybe autologin) to this new user, and remove the old user entry from lightdm and also the old user's old username entry which is still the default in lightdm.
To sum up and avoid to confuse you:
old username -> user
changed old username -> minduser
new username -> mindus
Lightdm has "user" as default
I want to keep and use as default the "mindus" user and remove the other two entries.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dancer_69
Level 1
Level 1

Re: User issues after copy vm installation to hard disk

Post by dancer_69 »

I edited lightdm' s config file to set the new user name as autologin user, and I deleted the old user, its directory and group. After that the system booted and login to the new user automatic without problems. Also the previous user(old and new name) removed from lightdm' s login screen.
So seems that my problem solved.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: [Solved]User issues after copy vm installation to hard disk

Post by deepakdeshp »

If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb

Return to “Cinnamon”