Mint 19 VMPlayer VM Flashing Black desktop boxes under Cinnamon

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bcrier

Mint 19 VMPlayer VM Flashing Black desktop boxes under Cinnamon

Post by bcrier »

I checked prior to posting this and found the "Flashing black borders around windows with Nvidia-390 and Mint 19" posting. The solution in it did not help. Wanted to create a new topic as I wanted to add specificity of issue I am seeing.

I am running Mint 19 (details below) as a Guest VM under VMWorkstation. I have a NVidia 1080-Ti card but Mint appears to be using the standard Display drivers, or at least I don't see any NVidia drivers under the Driver Manager. I tried installing NVidia drivers in Mint but got a message that no NVidia compatible hardware was found. 3D acceleration under VM is enabled. I have allocated 8GB RAM, 2 Cores and 1 GB of RAM for Display.

Problem is that I keep seeing black boxes and borders on the desktop. They appear when I switch windows, open programs, close programs or sometimes even when I just interact with a window. Clicking on the dektop makes them go away until I do any of the actions in prior line.

This does not happen under Mint 18.3. I have checked a number of posts but could not find a solution. Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Thank you, Bobby

RELEASE=19
CODENAME=tara
EDITION="Cinnamon"
DESCRIPTION="Linux Mint 19 Tara"
DESKTOP=Gnome
TOOLKIT=GTK
GRUB_TITLE=Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
happnatious1
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Mint 19 VMPlayer VM Flashing Black desktop boxes under Cinnamon

Post by happnatious1 »

I have noticed this happening recently as well. However I am running Linux Mint cinnamon 18.3. With Windows 7 in a VMware workstation virtual machine. It almost looks like a couple of terminal windows open and close really quickly in Rapid succession.
bcrier

Post by bcrier »

Solved. But I have no idea what real cause or the solution is. In my case, it got solved when I installed KDE on Mint 19. From login screen I selected KDE and tried it. But when I switched back to Cinnamon, the problem with black boxes appearing on the desktop is gone.

Also, while I used KDE, this issue did not occur. Hope this helps greater minds than mine figure out what could be causing it.

BTW, thank you for the earlier response happnatious1. I did not have this issue with 18.3 at all.

Bobby
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

bcrier wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:57 pm it got solved when I installed KDE on Mint 19.
You created a frankendesktop, which is unsupported because anything can happen.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
bcrier

Post by bcrier »

Hahahaha!! fair enough. I won't ask questions if it all blows up in my face one day.

Return to “Cinnamon”