Advanced keyboard layout with .xkb file?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Johannes33

Advanced keyboard layout with .xkb file?

Post by Johannes33 »

Hi,
I'm on linux mint 19 cinnamon.
I would like to add a keyboard layout and be able to switch between it and the others in the bundled app keyboard (cinnamon-settings keyboard) like it was any other bundled keyboard layout.

I have a file named arensito-kinesis.xkb and a filename arensito-kinesis.xmodmap to use as a template.
I looked a little and googled. It seems that cinnamon do not use the .xkb file system. but a system with directories in /usr/share/X11/xkb and files in sub-directories of these. So in total I think I need 4 files in 4 different directories to be edited.
Now I wonder if there is a program or app that can aoutogenerate these 4 files to fit this new system with the files I have as a template?
If not. Do any of you have any link to some instructions on how to do it?
Also but not as important. Does anyone know how to build the geometry file of a keyboard? I would like to build a geometry for a kinesis contoured keyboard so i can visually see where the keys are after implementing the new keyboard layout.

Thanks
/Johannes
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
magnus7
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Advanced keyboard layout with .xkb file?

Post by magnus7 »

The simplest way:
Create "symbols" file from your templates.
Open /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols as administrator.
Chose a file of keyboard layout you don't use and replace its contents with your file.
Run this command in terminal and restart the computer:

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xkb-data
You will find your new layout under the name of layout you replaced.

If you want a layout in a new file under new name, you have to add information about your layout to this configuration file, including language code:/usr/share/X11/xkb/rules/evdev.xml
Johannes33

Post by Johannes33 »

Thanks a lot for the help!
I have not had time to try it but it sounds good.
Perhaps if I do not understand everything you could give me a push in the right direction when I get around fixing my keyboard layout? :)

/Johannes
magnus7
Level 4
Level 4

Post by magnus7 »

You're welcome. I'll do my best.

Return to “Cinnamon”