Case insensitivity while trying to rename file on NAS in LM19

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rockadile
Level 1
Level 1

Case insensitivity while trying to rename file on NAS in LM19

Post by rockadile »

I am experiencing and issue with case insensitivity. I am trying to change the case in a filename on a remotely connect server (NAS) and I am getting an error that the file already exists. This doesn't happen when doing it within the local filesystem. This is on a fresh install of LM19.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pgmer6809
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Case insensitivity while trying to rename file on NAS in LM19

Post by pgmer6809 »

Is the NAS a windows file server? WIndows is not known for making case significant.
Is the file accessed via a CIFS share? I am not sure but I don't think that shares accessed via CIFS (windows share protocol) keep all the properties etc. that files on the local file system do.
Have you tried accessing the remote file with NFS and making the changes thru the NFS protocol?
pgmer6809
rockadile
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Case insensitivity while trying to rename file on NAS in LM19

Post by rockadile »

pgmer6809 wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:23 pm Is the NAS a windows file server? WIndows is not known for making case significant.
Is the file accessed via a CIFS share? I am not sure but I don't think that shares accessed via CIFS (windows share protocol) keep all the properties etc. that files on the local file system do.
Have you tried accessing the remote file with NFS and making the changes thru the NFS protocol?
pgmer6809
It is a Linux-based NAS. I created the connection as a "Windows share" within Nemo. This has worked in all prior versions of Linux Mint.

Return to “Cinnamon”