[PARTIALLY SOLVED] Flatabulous theme on Mint 19

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
overkill22
Level 4
Level 4

[PARTIALLY SOLVED] Flatabulous theme on Mint 19

Post by overkill22 »

I tried to install arc-flatabulous theme on mint 19 cinnamon without success.
In the previous version (mint 18.3) arc-flatabulous was working just fine.

Is there a way to install this theme?

https://github.com/andreisergiu98/arc-flatabulous-theme
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Flatabulous theme on Mint 19

Post by Hoser Rob »

Searched "linux arc-flatabulous", this was the 2nd item ...

https://github.com/erikdubois/Ultimate- ... heme-v1.sh

... though as the author says, there are no guarantees. Read it first.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
overkill22
Level 4
Level 4

Post by overkill22 »

Hoser Rob wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:05 am Searched "linux arc-flatabulous", this was the 2nd item ...

https://github.com/erikdubois/Ultimate- ... heme-v1.sh

... though as the author says, there are no guarantees. Read it first.
I tried this one already, it didn't work.
It's good to install everything with one click, but then in the theme the window borders, icons, and controls are missing. the only one present is desktop, but only with one version of the flatabulous.

It has actually lots of good stuff, but mostly for mint 18.3 and below. couldn't find anything for 19.
Ben2talk2
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Ben2talk2 »

A slightly off-topic reply... after testing a ton of themes with Cinnamon on Mint 19 I found that the 'Ultimate Dark Blue Compact' won out overall (better than Mint-y-dark) and have so far seen several contrast/hidden text problems solved.

I'm going to take another look at Flatabulous.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

overkill22 wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:55 am I tried to install arc-flatabulous theme on mint 19 cinnamon without success.

What's not working? I take it you are following the install instructions as per the github read-me? Where is it failing?
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
overkill22
Level 4
Level 4

Post by overkill22 »

smurphos wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:55 am
overkill22 wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:55 am I tried to install arc-flatabulous theme on mint 19 cinnamon without success.

What's not working? I take it you are following the install instructions as per the github read-me? Where is it failing?
I don't know exactly where is it failing.
However, I managed to install an Arc theme from the cinnamon website (Arc-Mac-Dark). It looks really good and working on almost all the windows, except for SOME windows that I can't uinderstand what is the relation.
For example, if I open the "login window" to change settings in the login page, the window shows as light theme instead of dark. What could it be?
overkill22
Level 4
Level 4

Post by overkill22 »

overkill22 wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:02 am
smurphos wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:55 am

I don't know exactly where is it failing.
However, I managed to install an Arc theme from the cinnamon website (Arc-Mac-Dark). It looks really good and working on almost all the windows, except for SOME windows that I can't understand what is the relation.
For example, if I open the "login window" to change settings in the login page, the window shows as light theme instead of dark. What could it be?
I actually just fixed it by manually copy and paste the folders in /usr/share/theme (opening nemo as sudo).
Seems that if you download the theme and put the theme/icon folder in the right folders, does the trick.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

overkill22 wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:17 am I actually just fixed it by manually copy and paste the folders in /usr/share/theme (opening nemo as sudo).
Seems that if you download the theme and put the theme/icon folder in the right folders, does the trick.
Yep :D

There are two theme locations ~/.themes for user installed themes and /usr/share/themes/ for system installed themes. The former is the install location for themes downloaded via the Themes settings app. This is a security feature so that root privileges aren't required to install themes in this way.

Applications run with root privileges don't use the GTK (controls) theme if it's only in ~/.themes.

Another workaround (preferable in my opinion for single user systems) is to create symlinks in/usr/share/themes/ to any themes in ~/.themes.

E.g. this command will create symlinks all themes in ~/.themes

sudo ln -s ~/.themes/* /usr/share/themes/
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
overkill22
Level 4
Level 4

Post by overkill22 »

smurphos wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:56 am
overkill22 wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:17 am I actually just fixed it by manually copy and paste the folders in /usr/share/theme (opening nemo as sudo).
Yep :D

There are two theme locations ~/.themes for user installed themes and /usr/share/themes/ for system installed themes. The former is the install location for themes downloaded via the Themes settings app. This is a security feature so that root privileges aren't required to install themes in this way.

Applications run with root privileges don't use the GTK (controls) theme if it's only in ~/.themes.

Another workaround (preferable in my opinion for single user systems) is to create symlinks in/usr/share/themes/ to any themes in ~/.themes.

E.g. this command will create symlinks all themes in ~/.themes

sudo ln -s ~/.themes/* /usr/share/themes/
yeah, I noticed installing themes only in ~/.themes gives problem (and so ~/.icons). I solved with the dumb way sudo nemo and then manually copy and paste the theme folders in /usr/share/themes/ . Is it ok as a solution?

Return to “Cinnamon”