Future of systray in Cinnamon

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SMarais
Level 3
Level 3

Future of systray in Cinnamon

Post by SMarais »

So as I was working on my app I had to switch from GTK3 to Qt because I learned that gnome is dropping systray starting version 3.26. it was actually deprecated since 3.12 but it's not part of gnome at all starting 3.26.
My question is how is Cinnamon going to works its way through this cut. This is a problem for me because my app is using systray to stay alive without being in the user way (not having a window tab or having the window opened on the desktop).
So the question is: if Cinnamon starts using gtk+-3.26 will there be a way for applications that runs in systray to have access to some systray implementation?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
I have LM Running on all these computers
gm10

Re: Future of systray in Cinnamon

Post by gm10 »

As they said when they removed that a year ago:
Users who still want them (or use one of the
odd cases where an app really depends on the icon) can install one of
various extensions that are available, either based on the XEmbed
support that is still kept around or implementing the DBus-based
StatusNotifier spec.
SMarais
Level 3
Level 3

Post by SMarais »

this answer is not satisfying at all. This answer takes only in consideration applications that used to stay static with very little user interactions. If you take all the games launcher nowadays they almost all have various features to keep you games up to date and some in app chat messages. I use personally this behavior to keep a lot of my softwares or my githubs updated. Because they don't use it doesn't mean some people don't. It's an easy way to keep a program running in the background with a quick access without having my window tabs overused.
Secondly, counting on third party devs to keep a feature that was and should stay built in is never a viable option in the long terms. You have countless examples everywhere showing that at some points people just stop maintaining because of "whatever reason you can imagine and put between these double quotes".
gm10

Post by gm10 »

SMarais wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:15 pm this answer is not satisfying at all.
Exactly, how dare they stop investing their free time into a legacy API that was deprecated 10 years ago and that few applications still use. I don't have time to learn a new API, this is crazy talk! They should sit down and start maintaining what I need for all the money that I'm not paying them!

/s
SMarais
Level 3
Level 3

Post by SMarais »

So nothing smart to answer. Just doing some assumptions. Alright then, I'll wait for someone with proper knowledge to answer. :wink:
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

SMarais wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:10 pm if Cinnamon starts using gtk+-3.26
I think this is a non issue - there isn't going to be a GTK+ 3.26 - GTK 3.22.x is the final stable release of the GTK 3.xx series and GTK+ development is focussed on the upcoming GTK_4.x. Current Gnome Shell can run on top of GTK 3.22.x so the change in Gnome Shell UI is not related to the underlying GTK 3.22.x version.

You'll need to talk to the Cinnamon devs for a definitive answer but I don't think Cinnamon relies on any not already forked Gnome component for providing systray functionality. E.g. Current Cinnamon on Manjaro works just fine with the current systray implementation - any Gnome components that are in use are version 3.28. GTK is 3.22.x

Perhaps if and when the dev team look at Wayland support for Cinnamon systray functionality may be an issue. I understand one of the reasons Gnome Shell has deprecated this is due to problems with what they refer to as legacytray and Wayland.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

Return to “Cinnamon”