How to backup and restore Cinammon panel Launchers?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
4RainButterfly

How to backup and restore Cinammon panel Launchers?

Post by 4RainButterfly »

I would like to backup all my launchers in the panel on the bottom left near the menu button.
Also, I'd like to backup all my custom launchers inside the menu itself.

I tried dconf dump /org/cinnamon/ > backup_of_my_cinnamon_settings - which is nice, but it doesn't contain the list of launchers in the bottom left of the panel or the menu.

Is there a command line option or gui setting I can use to do this?

Lastly, how would I restore after backing up? Thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Re: How to backup and restore Cinammon panel Launchers?

Post by smurphos »

For the panel launchers look in...

~/.cinnamon/configs/panel-launchers@cinnamon.org

For each panel-launcher applet there will be a numbered ,json file which contains the launcher definitions. The number matches the applet number assigned to the panel-launcher applet in org.cinnamon enabled-applets in dconf/gsettings.

E.g. this snippet from the output of gsettings get org.cinnamon enabled-applets is one of my panels with 3 panel launcher applets

Code: Select all

'panel2:center:0:panel-launchers@cinnamon.org:24',  'panel2:center:1:spacer@cinnamon.org:30', 'panel2:center:4:panel-launchers@cinnamon.org:31', 'panel2:center:3:spacer@cinnamon.org:32', 'panel2:center:2:panel-launchers@cinnamon.org:33'
And i have

Code: Select all

ls ~/.cinnamon/configs/panel-launchers@cinnamon.org
24.json  31.json  33.json
So if you back up both dconf and that folder and restore both you should be good.
Last edited by smurphos on Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Re: How to backup and restore Cinammon panel Launchers?

Post by smurphos »

For customised menu entries look in..

~/.local/share/applications

Any customised or new menu entry will have a .desktop file in this folder.

For complex backup and restore functionality - including dconf and specific folders in your home I recommend aptik - https://github.com/teejee2008/aptik
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

Return to “Cinnamon”