[Cinnamon19] Keyboard shotcuts with 3 modifier keys no longer working? Move window between workspaces behavior changed?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mikser
Level 1
Level 1

[Cinnamon19] Keyboard shotcuts with 3 modifier keys no longer working? Move window between workspaces behavior changed?

Post by mikser »

I have been using Mint Cinnamon since version 17. Since then I have been using the same type of keyboard shortcuts and they have been working fine in all upgraded versions. That is until Cinnamon 19.

My "Move window to left/right workspace" keys stopped working after the update. They (Ctrl+Alt+Shift+Left; Ctrl+Alt+Shift+Right) were still visible in settings, but the system didn't respond to them. Moving window by mouse works fine. Setting up a new combination and using it also works.

Then I deleted the old keyboard bindings and tried to set them up again. Fail!
- I can use: Ctrl+Shift+Left/Right
- I can use: Alt+Shift+Left/Right
- I can use: Ctrl+Alt+Left/Right
- But I can't use Ctrl+Alt+Shift+Left/Right

I haven't seen any information about this change in the update info.

Could someone kindly confirm that this is not my personal issue and that Settings/Keyboard/Shortcuts indeed doesn't allow anymore for more than 2 modifier keys to be used simultaneously?

Does anyone has any information when and why this change was made? Is it possible to revert to the old ways?

Edit:
The behavior also changed. I am only using two workspaces (W1 and W2). Previously:
- If window is in W1 and I press Ctrl+Alt+Shift+Left - nothing happens; if I press Ctrl+Alt+Shift+Right - the window moves to W2.
- If window is in W2 and I press Ctrl+Alt+Shift+Right - nothing happens; if I press Ctrl+Alt+Shift+Left - the window moves to W1.
- This is how I want this functionality to continue to work as well.

Now both options are not only going to Left or Right, but are cycling. So with two workspaces it doesn't matter which combination I press - the window always moves to another one. Now I have to be extra careful when organizing windows - I can't just do it fast ("this window needs to be in the second workplace, therefore I press Ctrl-Alt-Shift-Right") but have to stop, think of a context and modify my behavior accordingly.

Can someone shed some light on why this change was made? Is there a place to change this behavior?
derrilld
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [Cinnamon19] Keyboard shotcuts with 3 modifier keys no longer working? Move window between workspaces behavior chang

Post by derrilld »

I noticed this issue, too. The 4th modifier never worked, but actually, it seemed to have regressed and even the 3rd modifier isn't working. As a workaround, use dconf-editor and navigate to:

org.cinnamon.desktop.keybindings.wm

and modify your keybindings there. (You might need to apt-get install the tool first.)

Return to “Cinnamon”