[SOLVED] Cinnamon use lot of RAM

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
macabbe

[SOLVED] Cinnamon use lot of RAM

Post by macabbe »

Hello @ll,
New on this forum I need help, cannot find what is goin' on on my LM 19 Cinnamom.
I'v got 2 displays on the main graphic board but for some reason, since I connected the second display Cinnamon is using a lot amount of my RAM. Without activities and worst when I work on this computer. Never seen this case.

All my system is up to date, it's an HP SFF i7 with 8G of RAM, an SSD for the main folder (120Go/2Go swap) and the home on a classical HDD.
The only way that I can recover RAM is to restart Cinnamon but after 10 restarts I have to reboot the computer. And after some 2 of 3 hours working the RAM is fully busy and my computer is freesing...

Please, give some tips to find any solution before reinstalling, first time that I have this kind issue after 5 years using Mint (on 3 computers in 5 years).
If I have to submit some screenshots or data, please ask, I don't what to send.
Thanks for your help :)

Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Cinnamon use lot of RAM

Post by deepakdeshp »

Chrome is a memory hog. Please open minimum no. of tabs.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Disable all visual effects in Cinnamon:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... n-Cinnamon
(item 5.1, right column)

And while you're at it, also apply some other speed tweaks mentioned on that page.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
BrianI

Post by BrianI »

On a fresh install of Mint 19 cinnamon, this was my resource usage (from free -h on the command line) after login into the system, with no applications running on the desktop:

Code: Select all

total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
Mem:            15G        1.3G        8.5G        201M        5.8G         13G
Swap:          7.4G          0B        7.4G
:shock:
macabbe

Post by macabbe »

Thanks guys,
I always use this page to setup correctly my Linux, including with an SSD.
But for the thing to use "less" tabs on Chrome... I'm sorry, but before Linux Mint 19, no issue at all (18.3), 50 tabs on Chrome and 50 tabs, many many apps opened without reach half of the RAM busy, excepting with apps with a huge need (ShotCut, InkScape, etc...)
So anybody knows what is happening to my Mint?
I think I will have to perform a fresh reinstall... doesn't matter...
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Correct me if I'm wrong but your Cinnamon usage on there doesn't look problematic.

Re browser usage - spectre related mitigations in browsers will cause more memory usage per running tab than was historically the case.

I notice you've got caribou running using a lot of memory - do you use the onscreen keyboard? If not double check it is disabled in Accessibility.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

macabbe wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:01 am So anybody knows what is happening to my Mint?
Since I've recently been suffering from a memory leak that I've yet to fully identify I'll ask: How is your memory usage after you close all applications (including the ones in your tray)? It should drop back down near the levels it's at right after boot. It can be slightly higher due to file-system related stuff, but if it's significantly higher and in particular if it keeps rising without you doing anything, then you've got the same issue I had.
macabbe

Post by macabbe »

smurphos wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:05 am I notice you've got caribou running using a lot of memory - do you use the onscreen keyboard? If not double check it is disabled in Accessibility.
Right, I saw this "caribou" but not knowing what is that, It's it's activated, I don't know but... I set it off right now
Not changes by now... :(
bwat47

Post by bwat47 »

Afaik, this will be improved significantly in the upcoming cinnamon 4.0. It will include fixes to cjs (the javascript engine used by cinnamon) that fix problems with garbage collection/memory usage
macabbe

[RESOLVED] Cinnamon use lot of RAM

Post by macabbe »

Hello guys,

Isuue resolved !!!! The Firefox 63 for Linux Mint is in cause, why?? No fck... idea !!!
I uninstalled Firefox to install the version of Mozilla, same version but not "for Linux Mint", and all is fine!
Opened 30 tabs in Firefox, 42 in Chrome and 34 in Opera in the same time all let's folk! "only 36% of my RAM in use, now it's normal.
So it seems that Firefox provided by Linux Mint is not... maybe in my hardware configuration... I don't know.
Thks for your help, questions and advice.
8)
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Interesting turn of events. I'll note that the Mint version of Firefox is 62, so if you really had 63 before it didn't come from the official repositories.
macabbe

Post by macabbe »

oupsss, you're right, 62 !!!!
but the new installed from Mozilla is 63.
capture d'écran.png
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Yep, I know, I'm using the Mozilla version myself.

Return to “Cinnamon”