[SOLVED] Is it possible to keep all icons and texts solid while adding some transparency to panel?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sadi
Level 2
Level 2

[SOLVED] Is it possible to keep all icons and texts solid while adding some transparency to panel?

Post by sadi »

I like adding some transparency to Cinnamon panel (more than menus) but then icons and texts on it are also affected, which is not desirable.
I wonder if this can be avoided or this requires some improvement in Cinnamon - probably in line with the Pantheon panel (I wish we could have more of such features in elementary OS without the Mac-style restrictions on customization) ;-)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Is it possible to keep all icons and texts solid while adding some transparency to panel?

Post by Moem »

The extention 'Transparent Panel' makes the panel itself fully transparent while retaining icons and text as they are... but only while there are no maximised windows, so maybe not what you are looking for.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
sadi
Level 2
Level 2

Post by sadi »

Thanks a lot, this looks like it!
Why did I overlook the extensions I wonder...
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: [SOLVED] Is it possible to keep all icons and texts solid while adding some transparency to panel?

Post by Moem »

You're welcome, glad I could help!

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
deanr72
Level 3
Level 3

Re: [SOLVED] Is it possible to keep all icons and texts solid while adding some transparency to panel?

Post by deanr72 »

Cool. I was just playing with Elementary OS and Budgie and wondered if I could have the same panel effect on Mint.

By the way, default seems to be 'with shadow' so the panel isn't actually transparent. Clicking on the tool icon in the extensions menu allows you to select fully transparent, however.

Return to “Cinnamon”