<Solved> Mint 19 with Cinnamon doesn't lock on screensaver,

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon here
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Huecuva
Level 1
Level 1

<Solved> Mint 19 with Cinnamon doesn't lock on screensaver,

Post by Huecuva » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:15 pm

So I'm using Mint 19 with Cinnamon 3.8.9. I have my screensaver set to activate after 15 minutes with a 30 second delay to lock after the screensaver activates. When I first installed this, I recall that it worked except when I had Kodi open in full screen. Or maybe just when I had it open at all. I figured "Okay, media program preventing screensaver. That's fine." Now I don't know if there have been updates or something that changed things, but my computer never locks anymore, even if Kodi isn't running at all. I can leave the thing alone for hours and come back, turn my monitor on and there's my desktop, completely unlocked. I honestly don't even know if the screensaver even activates. I will update this thread when I determine the answer to that question. I recall having a similar issue with Cinnamon in Mint 18 as well. Why does Cinnamon always have lockscreen issues? Does anyone know how to solve this?

Thanks.
Last edited by Huecuva on Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

smurphos
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Mint 19 with Cinnamon doesn't lock on screensaver

Post by smurphos » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:39 pm

There has been a recent update to Cinnamon-Screensaver. This was to fix a bug with power management setting related to closing a laptop-lid not being honoured and causing unwanted locking for some users.

Some quick troubleshooting tests.

For troubleshooting purposes temporarily set your Screensaver settings to 1 minute and lock immediately. Does that work?
Also test 1 minute and lock after 15 seconds. Does that work?

if not...

Does the keyboard shorcut Ctrl-Alt-L lock your session?

If not does

cinnamon-screensaver-command -l from the terminal lock the screen. If not does it produce any error messages.

Huecuva
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Huecuva » Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:59 pm

Hey smurphos, thanks for the response. To answer your questions, the screensaver does not even activate at all. Needless to say, neither does the screen lock whether I have it set to lock immediately or after 15 seconds. Ctrl-Alt-L does work, however.
Last edited by Huecuva on Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

smurphos
Level 8
Level 8

Post by smurphos » Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:04 pm

Try the terminal command as well.

Huecuva
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Huecuva » Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:15 pm

The terminal command also works.

Huecuva
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Huecuva » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:05 pm

You know, now that I notice it, I have my power settings set to turn the display off after 30 minutes and it doesn't do that, either.

smurphos
Level 8
Level 8

Post by smurphos » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:06 pm

A few other things to try.

Any ownership issues in your home? Does find $HOME ! -user $USER return any output? If so run sudo chown -R $USER:$USER $HOME to correct. Reboot - tweak some settings for the Screensaver (and/or Power Settings) Does it make any difference?

Do the issues also occur if you try a new user account?

Do you routinely leave a menu open (application, context or panel) when leaving the computer - there is a known bug that will prevent the screensaver kicking in if there is a an open menu on the screen.

A reinstall might help - apt reinstall cinnamon-screensaver

A search through the logs may be enlightening - journalctl | grep cinnamon-screensaver

Finally - killing the screensaver and launching in debug mode might produce some useful output.

cinnamon-screensaver-command -e && cinnamon-screensaver --debug

Huecuva
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Huecuva » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:00 pm

Thank you very much, smurphos. I tried that find $HOME ! -user $USER command and it did spit out some stuff. I then used your suggested fix: sudo chown -R $USER:$USER $HOME. It did its thing and then I tried the first command again to which there was no longer any response. I rebooted and it seems to have rectified the issue. I still haven't tested to see if the display will power off after 30 minutes, but I don't see why it wouldn't, now. It seems like it would be a related issue. I'll let you know if it doesn't, though.

smurphos
Level 8
Level 8

Re: <Solved> Mint 19 with Cinnamon doesn't lock on screensaver,

Post by smurphos » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:28 am

No worries you are welcome - it might have been ~/.config/dconf/user under wrong ownership - its the backend settings database.

Huecuva
Level 1
Level 1

Re: <Solved> Mint 19 with Cinnamon doesn't lock on screensaver,

Post by Huecuva » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:49 pm

I see. Interesting. Well, the monitor seems to be getting turned off when it should be. Everything's working as it should, now. Thanks again, mate.

Return to “Cinnamon”