Open nemo snapped to left/right

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
arnad
Level 2
Level 2

Open nemo snapped to left/right

Post by arnad »

Hello everyone,

on Linux Mint xfce, opening a new file manager window (thunar) puts it either snapped to the left or right edge of the screen (depending on if another window is already open there). With Cinnamon, this does not happen. Instead, it is created in the center. Can I obtain the xfce-like behaviour with cinnamon?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Open nemo snapped to left/right

Post by xenopeek »

Not specific to Nemo, no. Unless you use some script or tool to monitor windows that are being opened and if a Nemo window is opened move it.

You can change the default location for all newly opened windows. You do that in Control Center > Windows, on its Behavior tab.
arnad
Level 2
Level 2

Post by arnad »

xenopeek wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:19 pm Not specific to Nemo, no. Unless you use some script or tool to monitor windows that are being opened and if a Nemo window is opened move it.
I don't require it specifically tailored to nemo. If all windows open left/right, that is also fine.
xenopeek wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:19 pm You can change the default location for all newly opened windows. You do that in Control Center > Windows, on its Behavior tab.
I found that option, but there is no left/right option available. Center does not do what I want (windows side by side), manual and cursor require me to use the mouse (which I am trying to avoid), and I have no clue what exactly the mechanism behind automatic is.

If it does not exist I'll have to work around it. I'm just confused that XFCE has this functionality and Cinnamon not.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Well, different desktop environments and window managers implement different behaviors and options.
arnad
Level 2
Level 2

Post by arnad »

Sure. But since XFCE is more lightweight, I would expect all features to be available in a desktop environment with more features like Cinnamon.

Furthermore, I think automatic might be almost what I am looking for. If I snapped a window to the left side, close it and then open it again, it is where I want it to be (all the way left, taking in half of the screen). If I open another window, it appears to the right, taking in the other half of the screen. So far, so good.

But if I open a third window, or open a window if another is already open, it is created with about 20px distance from the left edge. If I could disable this distance the behaviour would be exactly as I want it. I would have thought that would be Windows | Behavior | Edge resistance with other windows, but this setting does not seem to change anything. I would have no problem changing the config file (must be set somewhere, right?) but I have no idea where to even start searching.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

I suspect you'll have to go into the source code for that. But perhaps somebody else will have an idea.

Return to “Cinnamon”