Any way to create short-cut to set resolution/layout of display settings?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
treii28

Any way to create short-cut to set resolution/layout of display settings?

Post by treii28 »

There is apparently a long standing bug in DosBox that when it goes full screen, it doesn't properly restore the window settings in linux. As a result, I come back to Cinnamon and my prior layout with my primary laptop display on the bottom-left of my external display is flipped in reverse, and my LCD ends up set at 1024x768 instead of the maximum.

I know this is a problem in and for dosbox to fix, but it's a pain in the ass having to open the control panel and reset all my display settings manually every single time I want to play an old Sid Meier Dos game in linux. So I'm wondering if there is any way to either create a short-cut or run a command line/Ctrl-F2 type command to set a given screen resolution and layout with a one click? (i.e. if it's a pain in the ass to set up once, it's still less of a hassle than changing it by hand every time)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kukamuumuka

Re: Any way to create short-cut to set resolution/layout of display settings?

Post by kukamuumuka »

Make a script. An example display.sh:

Code: Select all

#! /bin/bash
xrandr --output VGA1 --mode 1280x720
Command xrandr tells available modes and display outputs.

To make the scrip executable, run

Code: Select all

chmod +x display.sh

Return to “Cinnamon”