[Solved] Panel overlap

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
keewee

[Solved] Panel overlap

Post by keewee »

Hi,

I'm running Mint 19 with Cinnamon 3.8.9 and have two panels. One runs along the top and has the clock and system tray. The second runs down the left side of the screen and I have the Menu positioned at the top of this panel with the window list below it.

What I would like to do is have the vertical panel run all the way to the top of the screen so the menu icon can be hit by placing my mouse pointer in the top left corner. At the moment the left panel stops where it touches the top panel but I would like to reverse this situation and have the top panel end where it hits the left panel.

The obvious solution was to place the menu in the top panel but you can't use a large icon without enlarging the entire panel. So as a work around I have placed a menu with a transparent icon in the top left but I'd still be interested if anyone can point me to a better solution.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Panel overlap

Post by smurphos »

There is a bit of a revamp of the panel code on the cards with Cinnamon 4.0 Mint 19.1 which may help you find a better solution as there will be more versatility in theming different panel zones....but in the meantime you'll probably need to undertake a fairly major re-write of /usr/share/cinnamon/js/ui/panel.js to change the current behaviour of basing the vertical panel dimensions on the horizontal panel height.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
keewee

Post by keewee »

Thank you very much for the pointer. Believe it or not it only took one tiny change to that file to get the behaviour I wanted, albeit that it probably only suits this specific arrangement.

All I needed to change was in the function _moveResizePanel I simply commented out "- this.toppanelHeight - this.bottompanelHeight" from the line

Code: Select all

let newVertPanelHeight = this.monitor.height - this.toppanelHeight - this.bottompanelHeight
and it allows the vertical panel height to stretch the full height of the screen. This places the menu icon at the top left corner which is what I wanted.

It does leave the two panels overlapping but, fortunately, this doesn't seem to affect the behaviour of the menu button.

Cheers!
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

LOL - easier than I thought it might be. I was looking at what would be needed to set the horizontal panel width based on the vertical panel width. Still if it works Ok with the overlap all is good. Glad you've got it working as you like.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

Return to “Cinnamon”