[Solved] How to disable Workspaces?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DaveJones
Level 2
Level 2

[Solved] How to disable Workspaces?

Post by DaveJones »

Hi all,

Long time ago, there was an option in System Settings to change the number of Workspaces or to disable them (don't remember which) and now there's no way to do that. By default, LM has 4 Workspaces and I accidentally sometimes trigger them and switch to them. They annoy me.

Is there a way to disable Workspaces or set them to just one?

Thanks!
Dave
Last edited by DaveJones on Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: How to disable Workspaces?

Post by Moem »

Enter the workspace overview mode by pressing Ctrl + Alt + upward arrow.
Select unwanted workspaces one by one, by clicking on them, and remove them by clicking the close button on each.
Leave the workspace overview mode by pressing Ctrl + Alt + upward arrow again.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
DaveJones
Level 2
Level 2

Post by DaveJones »

Moem wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:22 am Enter the workspace overview mode by pressing Ctrl + Alt + upward arrow.
Select unwanted workspaces one by one, by clicking on them, and remove them by clicking the close button on each.
Leave the workspace overview mode by pressing Ctrl + Alt + upward arrow again.
Thank you Moem! Is there a way to make this permanent so I don't have to do it every time I restart? Thanks so much!
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

You should not need to do this again after a restart. The number of workspaces is supposed to stay the same after a restart. Has this not been happening for you so far?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
soundchaser59
Level 3
Level 3

Post by soundchaser59 »

Moem wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:07 pm You should not need to do this again after a restart. The number of workspaces is supposed to stay the same after a restart. Has this not been happening for you so far?
I hit Alt+Ctrl and up arrow and I see the 4 workspaces, but the workspace panel disappears as soon as I let go of the keys. How in the heck am I supposed to get rid of these? There is nothing in any of my menus about workspaces, no preferences, nothing.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: [Solved] How to disable Workspaces?

Post by Moem »

soundchaser59 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:23 am I hit Alt+Ctrl and up arrow and I see the 4 workspaces, but the workspace panel disappears as soon as I let go of the keys.
That is not happening for me. i suggest you start a new topic to get help with that. This one is years old, it's marked as solved and the OP does not necessarily care about your issue. A new question deserves a new topic... and please add some system information. Cheers!

Return to “Cinnamon”