Cinnamon errors on start - applets/desklets/extensions

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Cinnamon errors on start - applets/desklets/extensions

Post by AndyMH »

As part of my frustrating upgrade from 18.3 to 19.0 (kept my original /home partition from 18.3 when I did the LM19 install), I'm getting errors on cinnamon start:
Screenshot from 2018-10-30 08-28-59.png
To try and track this down, I've looked in /home/andy/.cinnamon to find the logs. Two files glass.log and glass.log.last, both dated Sunday so long out of date. Where does cinnamon keep its logs so that I don't have to go through the painful process of switching all applets, etc. off and then switching them on one-by-one with multiple reboots? And, which system log?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Cinnamon errors on start - applets/desklets/extensions

Post by Hoser Rob »

First thing I'd try is to reboot and then run this in the terminal before running anything else:

Code: Select all

dmesg | grep applet
etc to see what turns up.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Thanks, I'd tried dmesg | grep error, but nothing of relevance came up. Solved the problem now (trial and error) - conflict between the 'transparent panels' extension and the theme - didn't work with either cinnamon or linux mint, but does work with Mint-Y-Dark. Still don't know where cinnamon keeps an up-to-date log as mine are out of date (and while they showed the transparent panel extn being loaded, it didn't show any errors?).
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Andy, the looking glass logs are integrated into ~/.xsession-errors in 19.

But before you go hunting the quick fix is to update all of your applets/extensions/desklets. That will hopefully get rid of most if not all the errors.

Open the Applets, Extensions and Desklets system modules in turn, go to the Add/Remove/Download section, refresh cache, and it should highlight how many updates are available, apply. Once done restart Cinnamon with Ctrl-Alt-Esc and review ~/.xsession-errors for any left over issues.

For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Thanks - done!
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

No worries - it's worth having a quick check every couple of weeks. It sorely in need of an update notifier.....
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

Return to “Cinnamon”