[SOLVED]Manually Update of Kernel (I don't want to use Update Manager)

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Gugi

[SOLVED]Manually Update of Kernel (I don't want to use Update Manager)

Post by Gugi »

Hey guys,
Can you let me help, and tell me how i can manually update my Kernel? i download newest Version, but now i stuck in point "I have to copy it, or run from terminal"
Would you like to help me with manually update my Kernel? :d

Regards,
Gugi ;)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gm10

Re: Manually Update of Kernel <I DONT WANT USE UPDATE MANAGER)

Post by gm10 »

You have to be more specific. If you just want to apply updates, then apt ugprade does that for you. If you want to install a kernel you downloaded somewhere, then you probably shouldn't without a better understanding of what you are doing. What are you wanting to do exactly?
Gugi

Post by Gugi »

Im done, thanks ;) soon i will write post on a forum with this, It will help for someone ;)
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Fair enough, then maybe mark this one as SOLVED by editing the first post's subject line (even though there is no solution here but still).

Note that if this was about mainline kernels then there's a GUI tool called ukuu to handle that.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

gm10 wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:07 am Fair enough, then maybe mark this one as SOLVED by editing the first post's subject line (even though there is no solution here but still).

Note that if this was about mainline kernels then there's a GUI tool called ukuu to handle that.
@gm10
I see your implemtation for this will be incorporated in Mint 19.1.
Kudos and thanks for the dev effort
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

all41 wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:40 pm
gm10 wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:07 am Fair enough, then maybe mark this one as SOLVED by editing the first post's subject line (even though there is no solution here but still).

@gm10
Heh, thanks, but it's not what the blog makes it sound like, it's not an implementation of ukuu, it simply shows installed mainline kernels and lets your remove them (see viewtopic.php?p=1513366#p1513366) but there is no support for downloading and installing them. It would be possible to add that without too much of an effort but then the kernel window would get very busy, plus I'm not sure it's even something we would want to have given how these kernels are unsupported.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

gm10 wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:03 pm
all41 wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:40 pm

@gm10
Heh, thanks, but it's not what the blog makes it sound like, it's not an implementation of ukuu, it simply shows installed mainline kernels and lets your remove them (see viewtopic.php?p=1513366#p1513366) but there is no support for downloading and installing them. It would be possible to add that without too much of an effort but then the kernel window would get very busy, plus I'm not sure it's even something we would want to have given how these kernels are unsupported.
+1 nevertheless. Glad you're on board
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.

Return to “Cinnamon”