Window focus is utterly broken

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ocket8888

Re: Window focus is utterly broken

Post by ocket8888 »

The BIOS utility to which you linked me, @smurphos tells me that the "files do not match BIOS ROM," which makes me think that's not for my motherboard.
Also, I've tested with Mint Cinnamon 19.2 now, and it's just as broken.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

When you tried Gnome3 was that with a Wayland session or a X-server session?

Sorry I'm pretty much out of ideas to troubleshoot or try and narrow down the cause of the issue.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
ocket8888

Post by ocket8888 »

smurphos wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:25 pm When you tried Gnome3 was that with a Wayland session or a X-server session?
actually, that's a good point. Manjaro Gnome's default backend is Wayland, so it would've been Wayland
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

ocket8888 wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:18 pm
smurphos wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:25 pm When you tried Gnome3 was that with a Wayland session or a X-server session?
actually, that's a good point. Manjaro Gnome's default backend is Wayland, so it would've been Wayland
It might not be, having asked the question i then recalled that one of the issues preventing widespread Wayland rollout was lack of compatibility with Nvidia proprietary drivers. But I guess you could of ended up using Wayland + Nouveau. Worth checking though if you have the issue specifically with Gnome 3, Nvidia driver and X-Server.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
ocket8888

Post by ocket8888 »

smurphos wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:55 am It might not be, having asked the question i then recalled that one of the issues preventing widespread Wayland rollout was lack of compatibility with Nvidia proprietary drivers. But I guess you could of ended up using Wayland + Nouveau.
I used Gnome3 with a Wayland backend - for sure - and with both Noveau and proprietary drivers. Neither driver set had the same issue that I'm experiencing with Cinnamon.
smurphos wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:55 am Worth checking though if you have the issue specifically with Gnome 3, Nvidia driver and X-Server.
I loaded up an Ubuntu Desktop 18.04 liveCD, which has Gnome3 running on X11. It ran perfectly with its stock Noveau drivers - I could easily open as many windows as I pleased and manipulate them however I saw fit.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Officially out of ideas. I don't think your github issue will get much attention right now - the dev team are busy dealing with Cinnamon 4 and getting ready for Mint 19.1 - I'd revisit your issue in a couple of months. BTW your Manjaro machine should the option to upgrade to an early release of Cinnamon 4 now - might be worth giving it a try.
ocket8888

Post by ocket8888 »

I'd be happy to give that a shot, if only I knew how.
At any rate, thanks for helping me troubleshoot this.
ocket8888

Post by ocket8888 »

Update: I figured it out. I'm on cinnamon 4.0.0-1 atm, and it's still just as broken...
ocket8888

Post by ocket8888 »

btw, I also just tried switching to software rendering, which is better in some ways and worse in others. The windows flicker a lot and leave trails behind them when I move them - it's like it doesn't handle drawing updates well. But I can move them, so at least we know that that particular issue is graphics driver-related.
Huecuva
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Huecuva »

This sounds a lot like the issue I'm having in my thread here that nobody has responded to. Nobody knows how to fix this? I'm not using an Nvidia graphics card. I hope this problem is fixed in Cinnamon 4.
addxsle
Level 1
Level 1

Post by addxsle »

The issue was indeed an incompatibility with python on my end. The file /usr/bin/window-manager-launcher required #!/usr/bin/python3, which was manually linked to /usr/bin/python3.8 (I did that).

It made the "import gi" line crash, for a reason I didn't care to understand besides: the import works when using python3.5, and fails when using python3.8.

I hope it helps!
Adrien

Return to “Cinnamon”