[Solved] Black screen

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gbone
Level 3
Level 3

[Solved] Black screen

Post by gbone »

I listen to internet radio stations and I would prefer to have a black screen and just have the audio. Is there a shortcut that could blank out the video while retaining the audio?
Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Black screen

Post by Moem »

Is this a laptop or a desktop? If it's a desktop, you could simply switch the monitor off...

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
gbone
Level 3
Level 3

Post by gbone »

I am using a laptop. Sometimes I hook up the HDMI cable to the television and use the sound on the tv. But then I still just want background music with no disrupting video.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

I just found something you might want to try. Download this image: https://wallpapercave.com/wp/DTvUQor.jpg

Now open the image in Xviewer, then press F11.

Presto, blacknesso.

Hope that helps.

Hit F11 again to get back control of your desktop. The image is 1920x1080. A larger desktop may require a larger image.
gbone
Level 3
Level 3

[Solved] Re: Black screen

Post by gbone »

Fantastic!!!
That's going to work just fine.
Thank you!

I've noticed that all these 'new' televisions cannot have a blank or dark screen. In the old tvs one could turn a knob and blank out the screen. This shows how much of an electronic prison we are now in as we are force fed audio and video. Even if we choose to turn off the tv/laptop, we are supposedly being monitored by an active camera and microphones in the 'switched off' tv/laptop.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: [Solved] Black screen

Post by MrEen »

Hey, that's great. Glad I could help! :)

Return to “Cinnamon”