Custom scaling

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
IDG

Custom scaling

Post by IDG »

I have set scaling to double in Settings > General on my 60 inch 4K TV but need more scaling. Maybe to 2.5-3 scaled. it possible to set custom scaling? How?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Custom scaling

Post by smurphos »

Don't think so.

You can upscale Fonts fractionally in Settings > Fonts as-well which might help (the rest of the UI should expand to accomodate upscaled fonts). Or pick a lower resolution output for the TV.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
IDG

Post by IDG »

smurphos wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:27 am Don't think so.

You can upscale Fonts fractionally in Settings > Fonts as-well which might help (the rest of the UI should expand to accomodate upscaled fonts). Or pick a lower resolution output for the TV.
Already tried that but some apps are still tiny. I need 4K on because i watch 4K mostly. If i could have 4K on and scale to like it is 1080P would have been very great for me. Can scaling be customized?
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

In theory any integer scaling should be possible- albeit not exposed in the GUI (probably for good reason). X server only supports integer scaling. If you are having problems with QT based apps not scaling you may need to fiddle with the QT settings module in settings

Try (at your own risk!) to set 3x scaling.

gsettings set org.cinnamon.desktop.interface scaling-factor 3

To reset to double

gsettings set org.cinnamon.desktop.interface scaling-factor 2

To normal

gsettings set org.cinnamon.desktop.interface scaling-factor 1

To auto

gsettings set org.cinnamon.desktop.interface scaling-factor 0
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

You might give this a try - outlines a method to set custom DPI - never tried it....

viewtopic.php?t=250690
IDG

Post by IDG »

smurphos wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:00 am In theory any integer scaling should be possible- albeit not exposed in the GUI (probably for good reason). X server only supports integer scaling. If you are having problems with QT based apps not scaling you may need to fiddle with the QT settings module in settings

Try (at your own risk!) to set 3x scaling.

gsettings set org.cinnamon.desktop.interface scaling-factor 3

To reset to double

gsettings set org.cinnamon.desktop.interface scaling-factor 2

To normal

gsettings set org.cinnamon.desktop.interface scaling-factor 1

To auto

gsettings set org.cinnamon.desktop.interface scaling-factor 0
Did not help specially on Plex Media Player. The font is to small on it.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Which GUI are you using in Plex Media Player? If not using the TV Layout the default GUI can be run in your browser via PlexWeb and scales fine using Ctrl/Mouse wheel to zoom.
xjcl
Level 1
Level 1

Post by xjcl »

I find 2x scaling to be too large and 1x scaling to be too small, Windows allows my laptop to go in steps of 25% (50%, 75%, 100%, 125%, 150% (default), 175%, 200%), is there any way to have non-integer scaling?
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

xjcl wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:54 pm I find 2x scaling to be too large and 1x scaling to be too small, Windows allows my laptop to go in steps of 25% (50%, 75%, 100%, 125%, 150% (default), 175%, 200%), is there any way to have non-integer scaling?
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Hi ... al_Scaling

In Xorg not easily - you need to use xrandr in combination with the scaling factor.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

smurphos wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:49 am
xjcl wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:54 pm I find 2x scaling to be too large and 1x scaling to be too small, Windows allows my laptop to go in steps of 25% (50%, 75%, 100%, 125%, 150% (default), 175%, 200%), is there any way to have non-integer scaling?
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Hi ... al_Scaling

In Xorg not easily - you need to use xrandr in combination with the scaling factor.
I'm not convinced it's an xorg issue. KDE supports fractional scaling oob. I'm inclined to think it's more of a GNOME limitation.

Cheers.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

Return to “Cinnamon”