[SOLVED] Root and system applications don't respect font settings

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Root and system applications don't respect font settings

Post by trytip »

can you post a picture of the worst looking root application affected.
turambar
Level 1
Level 1

Post by turambar »

1) In the first post there are 2 attachments. Upper attachment looks good but lower (with elevated privileges notification) is the worst. I order to see the difference it is necessary to open files in minimum full hd resolution. In lower resolution it is hard to see the difference.
2) I also installed new Linux Mint 19 without upgrade and it turned out that In newest Linux Mint there is no font hinting at all. When I change hinting: no, slight, medium, full there is no difference. So when I upgrade from 18.3 old settings have been copied. In pure Linux Mint 19 there is no font hinting in root and no root apps. Any solution?
3) I've used Linux for over ten years and I start to be tired of permanent fight with fonts. For example: Is it really so hard to fix problem with respecting fonts settings in such apps as: firefox, chrome, thunderbird. I know it's just enough to create ~/.fonts.conf but many new users don't and they give up using Linux at all. Or case about I am writing: really doesn't anybody notice that in newest Linux Mint font hinting doesn't work?
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

i notice mint19 doesn't respect font hinting. i installed mint-meta-xfce thinking i would be able to change things, but i see that mint19 has some font settings in root somewhere disabling font hinting. i thought i had the issue fixed but revisiting it today in xfce i see i can no longer change font hinting, but i can disable it which cause massive font degradation.

mint19 xfce antialias disabled

same desktop antialias enabled (logOFF/IN required for changes)

now if they still look bad at hires i can't say, but my root applications have the same look as my user applications
turambar
Level 1
Level 1

Post by turambar »

After many hours of searching and trying various solutions finally I succeed. On German Ubuntu forum I found this post: https://forum.ubuntuusers.de/topic/verd ... st-8914328
To make font hinting work only need to add

Code: Select all

FREETYPE_PROPERTIES="truetype:interpreter-version=35 cff:no-stem-darkening=1 autofitter:warping=1"
to /etc/environment. That's all.

If any Linux Mint developer ever read this post a have 2 requests: please correct 2 very annoying (and i think easy to correct) font bugs:
1) No hinting in such apps as Firefox, Thunderbird, Chrome etc. Bug is 8 years old (!) https://askubuntu.com/questions/29827/w ... -firefox-4
2) And bug from this topic.
Really many people give up Linux because of fonts. If you search in Google phrase "linux fonts problem' there are 13,400,000 results.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Re: [SOLVED] Root and system applications don't respect font settings

Post by Flemur »

I recently discovered - with lubuntu at least - that I needed to run the "appearance" settings as (whoami=) root to get the icons and fonts to show up correctly on synaptic.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

turambar wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:49 pm Still nothing changes.
I came across this old thread when I had this issue again (with grsync); in THIS case I copied
/home/user/.gtkrc-2.0 and
/home/usr/.config/gtk-3.0 to /root/.
and the root grsync font matched the user grsync font. Copying the fonts.conf alone (first) didn't fix it.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
turambar
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [SOLVED] Root and system applications don't respect font settings

Post by turambar »

I wrote tutorial summarizing my struggle with fonts. Maybe someone will find it useful. Link to tutorial: click

Return to “Cinnamon”