Mate menu displaced Cinnamon

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lbunch
Level 2
Level 2

Mate menu displaced Cinnamon

Post by lbunch »

Fresh upgrade, not clean install, of 18.3 cinnamon from 17.3.
Mate had been used on 17.3. The mate menu and panel are running in 18.3 instead of the desired Cinnamon environment.
How do I get Cinnamon to replace the Mate features?
I can see the Cinnamon packages in Synaptic as Installed.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Mate menu displaced Cinnamon

Post by smurphos »

Assuming you've got both desktops environments properly installed running a Cinnamon Session should be an option from the login screen.

If not apt install mint-meta-cinnamon to properly install cinnamon.

I assume Cinnamon isn't crashing and your getting Mate in fallback mode?
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
lbunch
Level 2
Level 2

Post by lbunch »

Thank you Smurphos.

I had run the apt install you suggested, and it ran with two items to auto remove, which I did.
I did then reboot the system. You reminded me of the little M or Ci on the login. It was there, but selecting Ci made no apparent difference. The mate menu (mintMenu.py) is still shown under "about" the menu.

I ran pgrep -a [mM]ate, which I saw on another thread. I returns
2429 mate-session
2572 /usr/bin/mate-settings-daemon
2588 mate-panel
2639 mate-power-manager
2646 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/polkit-mate-authentication-agent-1
2656 mate-screensaver
2657 mate-volume-control-applet
3684 /usr/bin/mate-terminal

A similar command for Cinnamon returns nothing.

Nothing interesting in the syslog for the last couple of boots (after selecting M on login.)

Thank you for you help.
redlined

Post by redlined »

lbunch wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:02 pm You reminded me of the little M or Ci on the login. It was there, but selecting Ci made no apparent difference. The mate menu (mintMenu.py) is still shown under "about" the menu.
hi lbunch!

I'm new to Linux and see smurphos is on task with you (which means very good!), however, I wanted to clarify how you are changing between installed DE (Mate&Cinnamon). When I logout of session and the login screen comes up I see a small icon to the right of my username. Clicking on that icon rolls out a side menu which ofer me choices of DE,namely Cairo-Dock (Gnome), Cinnamon (Default), Cinnamon (Software rendering) and Mate. Selecting one of those I have to arrow back (left pointing arrow top left of slide out menu) and see a change in icon depending on which DE I selected (Mate shows what looks like a target and Cinnamon shows a mountain)

In terminal inxi -v1 command under System 2nd line will show Desktop and version. Are you seeing any changes there when you log into Cinnamon DE?

(edit to terminal command)
lbunch
Level 2
Level 2

Post by lbunch »

Redlined:
It shows Mate, even though I have picked Cinnamon logging on. That's the problem.
redlined

Post by redlined »

lbunch wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:51 pm Redlined:
It shows Mate, even though I have picked Cinnamon logging on. That's the problem.
Indeed this is a problem, forgive my drive-by thread interruption :oops: and thanks for confirming!
lbunch
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Mate menu displaced Cinnamon [solved]

Post by lbunch »

Magic! After fiddling with this it now is working. I can switch from cinnamon to mate and back using the icon on the log in dialog.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Glad you got it working. :)
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
lbunch
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Mate menu displaced Cinnamon [solved]

Post by lbunch »

Thanks for your help, Smuphos.

Return to “Cinnamon”