[SOLVED] Mouse cursor icons missed

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon here
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
icem
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Mouse cursor icons missed

Post by icem » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:14 pm

Hi! I've checked many sources over Internet, but didn't find a solution for my problem.
I've installed some additional mouse cursor themes to my Mint 19 (Cinnamon 3.8.9), but I can't get their real look in Settings GUI (see pic.).
Is there a way to have real cursor icons in the Settings?
mouse_cursor.png
Last edited by icem on Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

linux_95
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Mouse cursor icons missed

Post by linux_95 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:17 pm

Possible I suppose...but requires a bit of work. Access the 'cursors' folder of your installed cursor and create a 'thumbnail.png' image of your cursor in that folder. The cursor itself is usually called 'left_ptr'. It is not a png image, so must be converted, perhaps in gimp. Hopefully works, but might be an easier way posted elsewhere.... :D .

icem
Level 1
Level 1

Post by icem » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:08 am

linux_95 wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:17 pm
Possible I suppose...but requires a bit of work. Access the 'cursors' folder of your installed cursor and create a 'thumbnail.png' image of your cursor in that folder. The cursor itself is usually called 'left_ptr'. It is not a png image, so must be converted, perhaps in gimp. Hopefully works, but might be an easier way posted elsewhere.... :D .
Oh, so difficult... :D
It works, thank you. Actually, I tried this way: I cloned 'left_ptr' to 'arrow' and 'default' file, but not to 'thumbnail' and, of course, not '.png'.

Also I found similar way: putting the '.png' files, but renamed to cursor theme folder name to '/usr/share/cinnamon/thumbnails/cursors' gives the same effect.

And if we started talking about the Settings GUI, I'm also wondering is there a way to force it to display theme names from 'index.theme' file instead just folder name? It's not so annoying as icons, but would be nice to solve this issue too.

linux_95
Level 1
Level 1

Post by linux_95 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:43 am

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding....you can rename any theme by renaming the folder. I highly modify themes to my preference. I usually just keep the gtk-2.0 & gtk-3.0 folders in the theme folder and remove the rest. I put the metacity-1 (titlebars/borders) and cinnamon (panels/start menu) folders in separate folders renamed to whatever after tweaking. Theme settings in the control center will pick it up.

icem
Level 1
Level 1

Post by icem » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:31 am

linux_95 wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:43 am
Perhaps I'm misunderstanding....you can rename any theme by renaming the folder. I highly modify themes to my preference. I usually just keep the gtk-2.0 & gtk-3.0 folders in the theme folder and remove the rest. I put the metacity-1 (titlebars/borders) and cinnamon (panels/start menu) folders in separate folders renamed to whatever after tweaking. Theme settings in the control center will pick it up.
Sure, I guessed that I can rename the folders. :) But theme names in 'index.theme' files are language dependent and more human friendly (e.g. can contain spaces). So why not to use this feature? Or Cinnamon simply doesn't support it?

linux_95
Level 1
Level 1

Post by linux_95 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:26 pm

:?: I can't comment on other languages - as I speak only English, but I just renamed one theme folder " (This is a test of the THEME 123456) " and it displays just fine in themes....albeit wide. I am using mint 19 and also have the "index theme" file removed.

icem
Level 1
Level 1

Post by icem » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:28 am

linux_95 wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:26 pm
:?: I can't comment on other languages - as I speak only English, but I just renamed one theme folder " (This is a test of the THEME 123456) " and it displays just fine in themes....albeit wide. I am using mint 19 and also have the "index theme" file removed.
Oh, I meant that the 'index.theme' files contain multiple names for a theme in different languages, so changing system locale will also change theme name in settings to preferred language. I'm also using English, that's why I said it is not so annoying to me, but I suppose this is the right way - to use 'index.theme' files instead of folders rename. So I'm just wondering is that possible in Cinnamon or not. Maybe someone knows...

Return to “Cinnamon”