Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon here
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
arnad
Level 1
Level 1

Nemo change bookmark icons

Post by arnad » Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:50 pm

Hello everyone,

I am using custom bookmarks in nemo and would like to change their icons. However, neither the context menu of the bookmark nor Bookmarks -> Edit Bookmarks seem to contain a way to change it. I tried changing the icons of the folders themselves, but that did not have any effect.

Greetings,

Arnad

smurphos
Level 11
Level 11

Re: Nemo change bookmark icons

Post by smurphos » Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:23 am

I don't think there is a way to do this (certainly not in Mint 19). The symbolic icon type used in the sidebar is stored in the folders attributes. You can view this via the terminal command gio info /path/to/folder. Unfortunately it doesn't appear that it is writeable using gio set which is the way that some of these attributes can be changed.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

linux_95
Level 1
Level 1

Post by linux_95 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:11 pm

Do you mean changing all the Bookmark icons as a group - which is possible - or individual icons?

arnad
Level 1
Level 1

Post by arnad » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:06 am

linux_95 wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:11 pm
Do you mean changing all the Bookmark icons as a group - which is possible - or individual icons?
I would like to change specific icons - those of bookmarks I added myself. Right now they all get the same icon, which is not helpful for navigation.

HollyMullvad
Level 1
Level 1

Post by HollyMullvad » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:27 am

Hey guys,

i don't mean to hijack this thread in no way, but..i'm kinda having this issue now. Have you figured a solution?

I moved all my home folders(except desktop) to a different drive, and created symlinks to them. Then i removed the shortcut arrows to make a cleaner experience.
The only thing i can't seem to change is the bookmark icons in nemo, they all now have the same icon ( documents, pictures, videos...etc).
I edited the .config/user-dirs.dirs to set the correct location for the folders, however i don't know how to make nemo apply the deault icons now :s

HollyMullvad
Level 1
Level 1

Post by HollyMullvad » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:31 pm

Nevermind, i found a solution.
editing: ~/.config/gtk-3.0/bookmarks

arnad
Level 1
Level 1

Post by arnad » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:11 am

Hi Holly,

glad you found a solution. Could you elaborate on it? I don't see any entry there indicating the icon. Or can you just set icons for the default folders (Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures, Sync, Videos)?

David_Elf
Level 1
Level 1

Post by David_Elf » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:20 am

HollyMullvad wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:31 pm
Nevermind, i found a solution.
editing: ~/.config/gtk-3.0/bookmarks
Hello Holly,

I'd be very grateful for this solution too. An hour and a half of farming about and fiddling and not terribly much success :-( No issue changing file names this way, but so far have been unable to attach custom icons. Any chance you could post your solution please?

Best regards,

David

gamesbook
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gamesbook » Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:46 am

Looking for solution to the same problem; the .config/gtk-3.0/bookmarks file only holds folders and shortcut names; where are the icons?

premier69
Level 2
Level 2

Post by premier69 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:39 am

Has anyone figured this out?
You're a load in my pants Al - Officer Dan

Return to “Cinnamon”