Nemo change bookmark icons

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
arnad
Level 2
Level 2

Nemo change bookmark icons

Post by arnad »

Hello everyone,

I am using custom bookmarks in nemo and would like to change their icons. However, neither the context menu of the bookmark nor Bookmarks -> Edit Bookmarks seem to contain a way to change it. I tried changing the icons of the folders themselves, but that did not have any effect.

Greetings,

Arnad
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Nemo change bookmark icons

Post by smurphos »

I don't think there is a way to do this (certainly not in Mint 19). The symbolic icon type used in the sidebar is stored in the folders attributes. You can view this via the terminal command gio info /path/to/folder. Unfortunately it doesn't appear that it is writeable using gio set which is the way that some of these attributes can be changed.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
linux_95

Post by linux_95 »

Do you mean changing all the Bookmark icons as a group - which is possible - or individual icons?
arnad
Level 2
Level 2

Post by arnad »

linux_95 wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:11 pm Do you mean changing all the Bookmark icons as a group - which is possible - or individual icons?
I would like to change specific icons - those of bookmarks I added myself. Right now they all get the same icon, which is not helpful for navigation.
HollyMullvad

Post by HollyMullvad »

Hey guys,

i don't mean to hijack this thread in no way, but..i'm kinda having this issue now. Have you figured a solution?

I moved all my home folders(except desktop) to a different drive, and created symlinks to them. Then i removed the shortcut arrows to make a cleaner experience.
The only thing i can't seem to change is the bookmark icons in nemo, they all now have the same icon ( documents, pictures, videos...etc).
I edited the .config/user-dirs.dirs to set the correct location for the folders, however i don't know how to make nemo apply the deault icons now :s
HollyMullvad

Post by HollyMullvad »

Nevermind, i found a solution.
editing: ~/.config/gtk-3.0/bookmarks
arnad
Level 2
Level 2

Post by arnad »

Hi Holly,

glad you found a solution. Could you elaborate on it? I don't see any entry there indicating the icon. Or can you just set icons for the default folders (Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures, Sync, Videos)?
David_Elf

Post by David_Elf »

HollyMullvad wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:31 pm Nevermind, i found a solution.
editing: ~/.config/gtk-3.0/bookmarks
Hello Holly,

I'd be very grateful for this solution too. An hour and a half of farming about and fiddling and not terribly much success :-( No issue changing file names this way, but so far have been unable to attach custom icons. Any chance you could post your solution please?

Best regards,

David
gamesbook

Post by gamesbook »

Looking for solution to the same problem; the .config/gtk-3.0/bookmarks file only holds folders and shortcut names; where are the icons?
premier69
Level 3
Level 3

Post by premier69 »

Has anyone figured this out?
OS: Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia x86_64 | Kernel: 5.3.0-28-generic | DE: Cinnamon 4.4.8 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X (16) @ 4.000GHz | GPU: AMD Radeon 580 VRAM: 8GB | RAM: 16GB
mogplus8
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mogplus8 »

I found in another post that the icons are stored in /usr/share/icons/<your current icon theme>/places/16, however the icons displayed on nemo are not the icons in this folder. I have my icon theme set to Humanity, which has nice colourful icons, but the nemo ones are flat, monotone and boring.
:-\
To err is human, but to really stuff things up you need a computer.
premier69
Level 3
Level 3

Post by premier69 »

Did anyone find a solution?

it's like pCloud in my case, they have a distinct icon that would make it easier at a glance to spot and would look better:
not to mention the rest of the icons.

Papirus-Dark seems to have no affect at all on them.

https://imgur.com/9GzYM11
OS: Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia x86_64 | Kernel: 5.3.0-28-generic | DE: Cinnamon 4.4.8 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X (16) @ 4.000GHz | GPU: AMD Radeon 580 VRAM: 8GB | RAM: 16GB
BrunoMiranda
Level 4
Level 4

Post by BrunoMiranda »

On LMDE2 I could change this easily, I just needed to change the folder's icon and Nemo would assume it automatically on its bookmarks.

This doesn't work on Mint19.3, in its current version on Nemo. This is a major aesthetic regression and configuration possibility, I personally just hate the flat monochrome boring icons. It makes navigation much less ergonomic and harder.

I'll keep on following this thread to keep up if there is any updates on this. Hope so...
Bye for now,
Bruno

(Always backup before you screw up :)
premier69
Level 3
Level 3

Post by premier69 »

who does one contact for feature requests? nemo is aswesome but has room for improvements
BrunoMiranda
Level 4
Level 4

Post by BrunoMiranda »

I'm about to change to MATE because Nemo and Cinnamon, although awesome, have been losing valuable configurations settings and are still lacking proper configuration and customization as small configurations are becoming a PITA. Visual control (theming, active and inactive active window contrast, icons, etc,) and keyboard control, shortcuts and navigation still do have a lot to be done.

I can see major differences from LMDE2 to Mint19.3. Yes Cinnamon it is faster but important things have been regressing, in my opinion.
It's too bad because, with LMDE2's Cinnamon and Nemo, I feel right at home and I cannot replicate that touch and feel experience on Mint 19.3, and LMDE2 will lose security updates from the Debian Security teem soon in June...

Also, Cinnamon is becoming bloated. Even after cleaning up my OS, my Mint19.3 is 8GB, while LMDE2 is 4.3, just half of it for the same things from my driver seat perspective.

No way I'm staying in flat monochromatic icons just to have a dark theme. Caja allows easy and effective control over the issues I've been having on Nemo.
Bye for now,
Bruno

(Always backup before you screw up :)
MikZ
Level 3
Level 3

Post by MikZ »

premier69 wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:32 am who does one contact for feature requests? nemo is aswesome but has room for improvements
It's on GitHub, and I just filed Issue 2494 to cover this. If you have a GitHub account, I suggest you click :) and then 👍 on that page, to show that more people want this fixed. (It would surprise me if it gets marked as a duplicate issue, but I did try searching to see if it had already been raised.)

If you don't have a GitHub account, I suggest you sign up for one. Most open source projects are managed there these days, and many corporations and individuals use GitHub as a code repository, so you should be able to add your two cents' worth for a lot of things. I don't think it will even cost you two cents. :wink:

Return to “Cinnamon”